Frustrating experience with Mocha for AE

Sorry but I need to rant about this. Mocha is a great software but the way Mocha for After Effects is marketed is really confusing and misleading.

First, why is selling a stand alone application only for after effects when you can only export the tracking motion and not the shape. We learn afterward that you had to buy a plug-in for After Effects. Why calling the stand alone “for After effects”, it makes no sense. What use the app by itself?

Secondly, WHY? WHY? WHY? the HELL do you enable a motion blur for shapes in the stand alone app that is NOT exportable with your own plugin??? WHY???

This is misleading and only bring frustration in the middle of a production on a Friday afternoon.

PLEASE Be upfront that features are off. I don’t care about the price, I just don’t like to be mislead like that.

on the imagineer AE page: Boris FX | Mocha Pro 2022.5 features shows like this:

• motion blur data included in tracking data export
    * rotoscoping tools with variable, per-point edge feathering
    * export of mocha shape data, enabling multi-layer shape export to After Effects*

HOW AM I SUPPOSE TO UNDERSTAND THAT SHAPES DO NOT EXPORT WITH MOTION BLUR?

Hans
:mad:

I agree with you dude. The integration works great but with the exclusion of motionblur data from mocha shape to ae importer. I tried it with 4k resolution plate and it really kinda sucks mocha. it causes lots of errors unless you use quarter resolution. it is very very slow. i wonder why there is no multithreading support on mocha or even a 64bit version. I’m not saying that the new releases are bad they are powerful but it lacks the most important features Compositors looking forward on an apps like this.

There is no motionblur data when you use the mocha ae though it is pointed out in the features. i enabled the motion globals in ae and layers blur switch but it just dont work. The sure thing included they called blur is the manual motion bluriing called the edge widths. i find it misleading too.

Thank for the reply and I will talk to my manager for the discount

May I suggest for imagineer to design an Excel type page on their web-site to clearly show what feature are included in each flavor of Mocha? That way you would minimized the confusion.

Hans

Dear Hans (and Francis),

We apologize if the product descriptions are not made clear enough and we certainly are not trying to mislead our customers. To address your points.

• mocha AE was created as an affordable tracking station to complement AE users. The sfw is a stripped down version of the full mocha product that supports many other software and has the ability to render mattes. Adobe liked it so much, they licensed v1 from Imagineer and asked us to change the name to mocha for After Effects.

• we created mocha shape plug-in and v2 to address an issue our customers asked for: the ability to import roto data from any mocha or motor product.

• motion blur on shapes
    The description: “motion blur data included in tracking data export” means that in mocha for AEv2 the tracking data export is improved so the AE layer motion blur can be used.

We did look at the ability to have mocha shape render motion blur and I will raise that as a feature suggestion for a future release.

In the meantime, if mocha for After Effects v2 and mocha shape are not meeting your expectations, I’m glad to offer you a great discount to upgrade to the full version of mocha. Please contact me off the forums at: rosss@imagineersystems.com

We are listening to your feedback!

Sincerely,
Ross Shain
CMO

Phone: +1.646.298.6458 - Fax: 646.808.0831 - Email: rosss@imagineersystems.com

Visit our online communities! http://forum.imagineersystems.com/
facebook: Redirecting...
vimeo: http://www.vimeo.com/imagineer
creative cow: http://forums.creativecow.net/imagineer

—Quote (Originally by hpayer)—
Sorry but I need to rant about this. Mocha is a great software but the way Mocha for After Effects is marketed is really confusing and misleading.

First, why is selling a stand alone application only for after effects when you can only export the tracking motion and not the shape. We learn afterward that you had to buy a plug-in for After Effects. Why calling the stand alone “for After effects”, it makes no sense. What use the app by itself?

Secondly, WHY? WHY? WHY? the HELL do you enable a motion blur for shapes in the stand alone app that is NOT exportable with your own plugin??? WHY???

This is misleading and only bring frustration in the middle of a production on a Friday afternoon.

PLEASE Be upfront that features are off. I don’t care about the price, I just don’t like to be mislead like that.

on the imagineer AE page: Boris FX | Mocha Pro 2022.5 features shows like this:

• motion blur data included in tracking data export
    * rotoscoping tools with variable, per-point edge feathering
    * export of mocha shape data, enabling multi-layer shape export to After Effects*

HOW AM I SUPPOSE TO UNDERSTAND THAT SHAPES DO NOT EXPORT WITH MOTION BLUR?

Hans
:mad:
—End Quote—

There is a chart here, but what you want is more detail.
http://www.imagineersystems.com/products/features/

We will be updating our web site and communications later this year and will note your suggestions.
Best,
R

—Quote (Originally by hpayer)—
Thank for the reply and I will talk to my manager for the discount

May I suggest for imagineer to design an Excel type page on their web-site to clearly show what feature are included in each flavor of Mocha? That way you would minimized the confusion.

Hans
—End Quote—