Future of rotoscoping

Hi everyone,

I know many of you are working in VFX and I was hoping you could inform me.

I am currently rotoscoping a character for my (hopefully) last personal portfolio project and I keep seeing posts on Reddit about rotoscoping being automated and it scares me because I was counting on starting as a runner and then rotoscoping and prep artist.

So I would like to know your opinion on the future of rotoscoping. Is it still a valuable skill for an entry level artist to have at the moment? What does machine learning mean for Silhouette/ rotoscoping artists?

Apparently the automated rotoscoping process is not there yet because the quality is not suitable for high end VFX but I was wondering what it means for me as an aspiring artist not even in the industry yet.

Hey,

It seems to me that machine learning tools and automated roto techniques are still a little way off reaching the standard the film industry requires. Entry level roto/prep jobs yes have declined over the last few years in the major VFX cities but this is due to outsourcing and costs per day rather than the introduction of automated tools. Outsourced roto is still done by hard working skilled prep artists and this will not change any time soon.

Also often the job of a roto artist is to provide the splines themselves in order for the Compositing department to use where required. I have not seen any machine learning/automated technology than does this yet. But it will continually improve of course.

So don’t be discouraged! Roto/Prep skills are fundamental and the backbone of a great 2D artist and no tool will ever replace that. Often Paint & Roto is one department though so getting some paint work and learning paint techniques for your reel too is a big plus for that first job!
Feel free to post any work on these forums too for any feedback/comments from people working in the industry.

Good luck! :smiley:

3 Likes

Hi,

Thank you very much for your reply. It is reassuring to read. I will keep at it.

Ok, I definitely will, thanks :smiley: