Gamma shift after rendering remove tool

Hi Everyone

I hope there is a quick answer to this one. I have a shot that is H.264 Compression straight out of the camera. There is a gamma shift when displayed in AE to Mocha and when I render out a remove from Mocha and import to AE it is significantly darker. Has anyone figured out why this is? I know the codec is quick and dirty and if thats just what happens thats grand but I then would need to know has anyone found out the precise gamma shift value? Any help would be great.

Answered my own question. If its any help to anyone don’t render out an image sequence just render back out H.264 Mov.

I am glad you got that sorted, if you have any more questions, please let me know and I will be happy to help you.

Cheers,
Mary

I’m having the same issue, but rendering out as an MOV doesnt fix it. It’s still darker. Im importing a ProResHQ mov, doing all my removal, and when I bring it back its darker. Im sure theres an answer to this in the forums but the search tool doesnt work for me.

We’ve been seeing a lot of issues with prores, can you try a different codec?

Apple codecs are a nightmare when it comes to gamma shifts and they don’t seem to be doing anything about it. Its not Imagineers issue anyway which is good to know. All I can say is export a mov in the same codec that you imported into mocha. Failing that use a different codec before importing into mocha and then export out as the codec you imported.

I was in a time crunch so I just color corrected the result to match the original, but ill try other things when I get a chance.

Thanks