Gamma shift management

Hi,
I am doing a remove on footage from a Sony EX3. I do notice a gamma shift within mocha pro compared to Adobe Premiere and After Effects. I would like the mocha export to have unchanged gamma in order to seamlessly integrate with the untouched shots from the project.
I do know, that there is a gamma parameter within the “clips” tab. However, I do not know the exact setting I have to apply there. Is there some definitive guide on how to keep colors constant when exporting from mocha pro?
Kind regards,
Andreas

Thanks Mary,
—Quote (Originally by MaryP)—
You’ll probably want to work in log values if you’re getting color shifts, but adobe and premiere also apply their own color corrections over images that come in and out of their software.
—End Quote—
Actually, Premiere does not do any color management at all. That is why I was surprised to get a shift in Mocha, which I supposed to be unmanaged, too. Is it?
I find the least amount of data gets lost between 16 bit tiffs in and out of compositing programs, but everyone has their preference.
—End Quote—
Ok, thanks, I’ll try that.
I do not think there is a definitive guide to colorspace management between adobe and mocha products though. Hence, my suggestion of working with more true values rather than depending on AE profiles.
—End Quote—
Yes, so for vfx only work, i.e. without the color correction part, I usually don’t use color management in AE, to avoid any shifts.
Maybe something like this would be helpful? an After Effects Portal: Profiles and color management in AE
—End Quote—
Thanks for the links. Most of that I already read (Mark’s book is my trusted companion ; ) I also took part in FXPHDs Color Science class and VFX Foundations. Nonetheless, it still gets at me at times. :wink:
BTW, thanks for helping me on the licensing issue (simultaneously to replying to my questions in the forums : ))
Regards,
Andreas

Hi,

I am doing a remove on footage from a Sony EX3. I do notice a gamma shift within mocha pro compared to Adobe Premiere and After Effects. I would like the mocha export to have unchanged gamma in order to seamlessly integrate with the untouched shots from the project.

I do know, that there is a gamma parameter within the “clips” tab. However, I do not know the exact setting I have to apply there. Is there some definitive guide on how to keep colors constant when exporting from mocha pro?

Kind regards,
Andreas

Thanks Mary,

You’ll probably want to work in log values if you’re getting color shifts, but adobe and premiere also apply their own color corrections over images that come in and out of their software.
—End Quote—
Actually, Premiere does not do any color management at all. That is why I was surprised to get a shift in Mocha, which I supposed to be unmanaged, too. Is it?

I find the least amount of data gets lost between 16 bit tiffs in and out of compositing programs, but everyone has their preference.
—End Quote—
Ok, thanks, I’ll try that.

I do not think there is a definitive guide to colorspace management between adobe and mocha products though. Hence, my suggestion of working with more true values rather than depending on AE profiles.
—End Quote—
Yes, so for vfx only work, i.e. without the color correction part, I usually don’t use color management in AE, to avoid any shifts.

Maybe something like this would be helpful? an After Effects Portal: Profiles and color management in AE
—End Quote—
Thanks for the links. Most of that I already read (Mark’s book is my trusted companion ; ) I also took part in FXPHDs Color Science class and VFX Foundations. Nonetheless, it still gets at me at times. :wink:

BTW, thanks for helping me on the licensing issue (simultaneously to replying to my questions in the forums : ))

Regards,
Andreas

I didn’t know that about Premiere! I will check it out.
—End Quote—
Funnily enough, it is indeed lacks color management. This is a pain when doing lots of back and forth with AE. And not quite understandable, since Adobe knows how to handle CM. Thinking of Photoshop and AE … :rolleyes:
—Quote (Originally by Todd Kopriva)—
01.11.2010 11:29 in reply to davidbeisner2010
Currently, After Effects has color management and Premiere Pro doesn’t.
—End Quote—

Since then, no updates on that topic.
Regards!
Andreas

I didn’t know that about Premiere! I will check it out.
—End Quote—
Funnily enough, it is indeed lacks color management. This is a pain when doing lots of back and forth with AE. And not quite understandable, since Adobe knows how to handle CM. Thinking of Photoshop and AE … :rolleyes:

—Quote (Originally by Todd Kopriva)—
01.11.2010 11:29 in reply to davidbeisner2010
Currently, After Effects has color management and Premiere Pro doesn’t.
—End Quote—

Since then, no updates on that topic.

Regards!
Andreas

Cheers,
Mary

Cheers,
Mary

I didn’t know that about Premiere! I will check it out. I’ve only scratched the surface in the newest version, and haven’t really done my color work in it ever.
Colorspace is always tricky!
Cheers,
Mary

I didn’t know that about Premiere! I will check it out. I’ve only scratched the surface in the newest version, and haven’t really done my color work in it ever.

Colorspace is always tricky!

Cheers,
Mary