Gobo Light effects

Hello,

I’m new to this area. I just bought the suite and now trying out all the wonderful goodies.

I’m using the OFX version and having trouble with the Gobo effect. I followed the online video but everytime I exit the FX editor the gobo dissapears. When I go back into the FX editor my selected gobo is not active. No gobo is active. I did also save when I closed the window and hit the Apply button.

Have I come across a bug?

Also letting you know that I’m using Flame as the host. I tried it in Resolve and it’s working ok.

Hi John,

The Continuum product is not supported in Flame, which is why the effect looks correct in Resolve but not in Flame. Continuum filters appear in Flame on your system as a result of Flame’s support for the OFX API, which is shared with Resolve, but it has not seen any internal testing. This may change at some stage but for now, Flame is not a supported host for Continuum.

Thanks for letting us know about this.

Cheers,
Peter.

Thanks for getting back to me. Which side of the equation needs to get this working. You guys or Autodesk.
I’m on the beta program and could mention it not working. In tech terms whats the problem.

Hi John,

I’ll discuss this internally with the team to see what it would take for us to port the Continuum filters over to Flame - one of the issues is that Continuum is not set up to operate on the Linux platform - Continuum is currently available on Mac and Win only.

The Flame team is great and we have a good working relationship with them with both our Sapphire and Mocha products, each of which are fully supported in the latest versions of Flame, both on Mac and Linux. Thanks for your offer to make a push via the beta program - if we decide that it would make sense to port Continuum to Flame we would most definitely appreciate any support from the Flame beta community.

Do you feel as though there is a big need for the Continuum toolset in Flame, given that we already offer Sapphire and Mocha? Which filters or features in Continuum do you think would be a good fit for an artist working in Flame and are not already covered by Sapphire?

Cheers,
Peter.

PeterMcAuley Senior Product Manager
May 10

Hi John,

I’ll discuss this internally with the team to see what it would take for us to port the Continuum filters over to Flame - one of the issues is that Continuum is not set up to operate on the Linux platform - Continuum is currently available on Mac and Win only.

Hi Peter, Thanks for getting back to me. I’m using Flame on a Mac so does that mean potentially it should / could work?

Do you feel as though there is a big need for the Continuum toolset in Flame, given that we already offer Sapphire and Mocha? Which filters or features in Continuum do you think would be a good fit for an artist working in Flame and are not already covered by Sapphire?

Flame’s grading toolset has improved greatly over the last few versions. I’ve now moved my grades over to it from Resolve
I just bought the Boris suite so I was exploring some tools for grading. That’s why I came across the gobo effect. It’s very usfull for quickly jazzing up a shot and the displace feature is very cool.
I’m still exploring all the effects in the suites so if I come across some in the Continuum range that Sapphire doesnt have then I’ll let you know. BTW is the plan to phase out coninuum. Why are there both if they have overlapping effects.

Kind regards
John Agapitos
Senior Online Editor | Colourist | VFX Artist
JOHNAG.TV
0414 438 215

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
NOTICE: This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is confidential, privileged and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any printing, copying, dissemination, distribution, disclosure or forwarding of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete it from your system. Thank You.

johnag
May 11
PeterMcAuley Senior Product Manager
May 10

Hi John,

Hi Peter, Thanks for getting back to me. I’m using Flame on a Mac so does that mean potentially it should / could work?

Hey John,
It might work just fine, but it hasn’t seen much testing at all and might be issues with some of the filters not producing the expected result. We have no expectations on our side as to how well the filters will perform in Flame as they haven’t really been tested.

Flame’s grading toolset has improved greatly over the last few versions. I’ve now moved my grades over to it from Resolve
I just bought the Boris suite so I was exploring some tools for grading. That’s why I came across the gobo effect. It’s very usfull for quickly jazzing up a shot and the displace feature is very cool.
I’m still exploring all the effects in the suites so if I come across some in the Continuum range that Sapphire doesnt have then I’ll let you know. BTW is the plan to phase out coninuum. Why are there both if they have overlapping effects.

So to backtrack a bit, Sapphire was originally developed by the company GenArts, which was acquired by Boris FX a few years ago. Boris FX is the original developer of Continuum. Prior to the acquisition, Sapphire and Continuum were competitive products but after the acquisition we set to work on making them complimentary products. Neither Sapphire or Continuum are being phased out but this is why there are some overlapping effects in both packages.

Please let me know if you find certain effects are not working for you and I’ll add this information to our database which, should we decide to put engineering effort into officially supporting Flame with Continuum, would help in that regard.

Cheers,
Peter.