Having Gamma/ColourSpace issues on Export

I’m exporting .tif files from Silhouette. I worked with RGB 16bit tifs from Resolve, which Silhouette displayed in it’s viewer fine (apparently using sRGB) colour space. The .tiffs on export are display washed out as though their gamma is set to 2.0. What is the reason for this?

What was the bit depth of your Silhouette project?

16 bit and 32 bit, both give same result.
Also, I noticed, when exporting that filenames are also appended with a full stop, so file name randomname would become randomname.0001.tif - Would this cause any issues futher on?

Can you try rendering to EXR from Silhouette and import that into Resolve? Do the files look correct in Resolve when you do that?

I am not sure what you when mean when you say “that filenames are also appended with a full stop”. Can you explain that differently?

That is correct. We export in the standard format of file.###.ext

I also get the same result with .exr too.

Can you private message me 5 frames of your source files so I can test on my machine?

Hi, I can yes, here’s a screen grab of my nodetree;

Can you export EXR files from Resolve to Silhouette and then render to EXR? Does that solve the issue?

Blockquote Can you export EXR files from Resolve to Silhouette and then render to EXR? Does that solve the issue?

I can give it a go. Just realised I’d actually exported the files from Nuke, exported as clog, which interpreted with no issues into Silhouette. Does this help cast any light for you?

If you import log images into Silhouette, they are linearized. The resulting render from Silhouette would also be linear. The SFX render should then be handled as linear in other applications. Note that there isn’t a clear log gamma with TIFF like there is with Cineon or DPX. For anything other than 8 bit, we’d recommend using EXR for Silhouette input and output.

1 Like

Great, thanks, will test tomorrow, but that would explain it.