Help needed on a Panning shot and GS

I have a panning shot as the BG plate (images 1 & 2). Over top I want to composite two characters shot on GS (image 3).

I’m able to track the pan with no issues. However, I don’t know how to add my characters with the track.

If I put the characters on the layer below the pan, then scale the image to the frame, I see all GS and characters. It does track correctly.

If I Primatte Studio on the characters, then I see the black of the layer below, not the panning shot. I did an animatte on the characters. It tracks fine, but I get black background. (image 4)

Is the panning shot on V1 and the characters on V2? If so, how do I key out the green and track them to the BG.

Any help or available tutorial would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

1 start of panning shot

2 final frame panning shot

3 layer to comp into BG

4 pan on top, characters below

Harry Miller
macOS Mojave 10.14.6
Mac mini (2018)
3.2 mGHz Intel Core i732 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Avid Media Composer 2020.6

BCC 2020 13.5

mocha Pro 2020.5 v 7.5.1 build date 6/23/2020

I found a solution. I would love to hear other ideas.

The panning shot is put on V3, tracked, and the actors / GS elements inserted in from V2. That left the actors on green. Applying a Spectramatte in Media Composer keyed the green. The pan shot on V1 fills the image correctly.

Oddly, BCC Primatte Studio didn’t key correctly, basically didn’t key the green out at all.

1 pan shot on V1 and V3_GS on V2

2 pan tracked_insert GS

3 apply spectramatte on V3

Harry

Hi, Harry,

My thought on that one would be to put the panning shot on V1 and put the green screen shot on V2. First key the actors with Primatte Studio and set the main Background menu at the top of Primatte Studio to None which tells it to skip doing any composites and pass the live alpha channel to the next effect. Then stack BCC Match Move on top of Primatte Studio (Alt/Option + drag to apply). In Match Move, open the Match Move parameter group and set MM Foreground to Filter Layer and set MM Background to 1st Below. You should now see your keyed actors over the background shot. Now open the Motion Tracker / Mocha group and launch Mocha to track. Note that Match Move will automatically track the background shot in this case since that is what you specified in the MM Background menu. Then you can use the Offset X / Y controls under the Motion Tracker / Mocha group to adjust the relative position of the actors and the Scale controls in the Transforms group to adjust their scale.

Cheers,
Jason

Thanks so much Jason. I will give it a shot.

H

I followed your instructions, and it worked out quite well. But I found the characters in the final comp weren’t quite stable. Jittery, actually (too much caffine).

Here is version_1 where I tracked with mocha Pro then applied Spectramatte.

This version_2 is following your guide.

I experimented with additional controls in Match Move, but nothing seemed to improve the jitter. The track in mocha seemed good.

I’m unclear why Spectramatte worked in my method and Primatte didn’t. I presume I needed to choose my layers better. Spectramatte applies only to the filter layer (I think). With Primatte, I see the second background (v1) moving out of sync with the panned shot.

Thanks for the help. I learn something new every day…

Harry