High frequency outliers in tracks

How should we go about finding outliers in a track? I can see that my track has gone awry, but short of scrubbing through frame by frame and looking for the frames when the surface jumps a bit, how do I know where those errors are occurring? Is there a error graph or even just a graph for the tracking transform?

Found trace, but it didn’t do anything, I don’t see anything on the surface change at all.
I did get most of what I needed from the curve editor. It would be nice if you output something that would tell us what the tracking quality was and what the total transform amount was (so we didn’t have to manually correlate the translations, rotation, scale, shears, and perspectives together).

How should we go about finding outliers in a track? I can see that my track has gone awry, but short of scrubbing through frame by frame and looking for the frames when the surface jumps a bit, how do I know where those errors are occurring? Is there a error graph or even just a graph for the tracking transform?

Found trace, but it didn’t do anything, I don’t see anything on the surface change at all.

I did get most of what I needed from the curve editor. It would be nice if you output something that would tell us what the tracking quality was and what the total transform amount was (so we didn’t have to manually correlate the translations, rotation, scale, shears, and perspectives together).

Thanks Mary, but the problem with that approach is that it requires the user to actually look at the differential between all adjacent frame pairs. What I’m looking for is a way to find that for the entire sequence so that the user can see where problems are likely to occur without having to watch the entire clip and make the judgement calls themselves as to which frames are most likely to need adjustments.

Thanks Mary, but the problem with that approach is that it requires the user to actually look at the differential between all adjacent frame pairs. What I’m looking for is a way to find that for the entire sequence so that the user can see where problems are likely to occur without having to watch the entire clip and make the judgement calls themselves as to which frames are most likely to need adjustments.

Hi Chad,
Sorry, I misunderstood the question. Here’s what Ross is talking about. We should be able to show you that information the way you want.
Image: http://forum.imagineersystems.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=362&stc=1&d=1342507622
Hope that helps!
Cheers,
Mary

Hi Chad,

We do provide that information. Turn your grid and surface tool on and align the surface roughly to the plane you are trying to track. That will immediately show you what your corner pin (the surface) and your track itself (the grid) is doing. The artist will know much more than mocha whether or not the track is lining up by visually looking at the track and determining the results for yourself. You can also use the insert dropdown menu to set a quick and dirty checkboard on the surface and see if it slides or not.

I always have the surface and grid tool on when I track so I know what I am tracking. If you see the grid warping or popping when you track you can look for what is causing that warp. Usually it is a sow moving shadow or reflection in the surface you are trying to track. Often, the warp is caused by trying to track two planes at once, like the front and side of a face at the same time (the front and sides of a face are at right angles and not on the same plane).

If you need access to your keyframes to delete them, you will find that in the dope sheet. If you’re having little offsets, use adjust track to fix them. You can also try using manual track to fix them over short distances. We have lots of ways for you to get a solid track with not so solid starting data.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Mary

Hi Chad,
We do provide that information. Turn your grid and surface tool on and align the surface roughly to the plane you are trying to track. That will immediately show you what your corner pin (the surface) and your track itself (the grid) is doing. The artist will know much more than mocha whether or not the track is lining up by visually looking at the track and determining the results for yourself. You can also use the insert dropdown menu to set a quick and dirty checkboard on the surface and see if it slides or not.
I always have the surface and grid tool on when I track so I know what I am tracking. If you see the grid warping or popping when you track you can look for what is causing that warp. Usually it is a sow moving shadow or reflection in the surface you are trying to track. Often, the warp is caused by trying to track two planes at once, like the front and side of a face at the same time (the front and sides of a face are at right angles and not on the same plane).
If you need access to your keyframes to delete them, you will find that in the dope sheet. If you’re having little offsets, use adjust track to fix them. You can also try using manual track to fix them over short distances. We have lots of ways for you to get a solid track with not so solid starting data.
Hope that helps!
Cheers,
Mary

Hi Chad,

Sorry, I misunderstood the question. Here’s what Ross is talking about. We should be able to show you that information the way you want.

Image: http://forum.imagineersystems.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=362&stc=1&d=1342507622

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Mary

One way is to use the Trace button which will show you the track data on each surface corner. Select your layer and with the surface showing, select Trace in the view controls (above the viewer.). This can show surface jumps.
Another technique is to use to go into adjust track and simply view each corner’s master compared to the current frame as you scrub.

One way is to use the Trace button which will show you the track data on each surface corner. Select your layer and with the surface showing, select Trace in the view controls (above the viewer.). This can show surface jumps.

Another technique is to use to go into adjust track and simply view each corner’s master compared to the current frame as you scrub.

You should see the Trace keyframes for the surface. If Trace and Surface are on, make sure that the setting for Trace (keyframes) is all the way up to show all the keyframes. This is found all the way to the right above the view in view prefs.
-R

You should see the Trace keyframes for the surface. If Trace and Surface are on, make sure that the setting for Trace (keyframes) is all the way up to show all the keyframes. This is found all the way to the right above the view in view prefs.
-R