How can I parent the Surface rectagle to an animated/modified X-Spline?

Hey All,

I know from some other threads, that the Surface has its own keyframes and behave different than the Spline. I also read something about this “Manual Track”, but didn’t understand it right now…
What is the exactely procedure to let the ‘Surface’ follow the keyframed Spline ?

Thank you and greetings

Serge

Hi Serge,
It doesn’t really work that way. I’ll try to explain:
Your spline is a search area. When you track an object in your scene, whatever is under the spline area will be analysed. The surface is the tracking information that is set as your search area spots motion/perspective differences between the frames.
By default, the spline search area is linked to the tracked surface so that if the object in the footage moves, the spline can keep searching where the tracked information is going. You can actually choose to unlink the spline so it stays put, or move it around the scene to find new areas to search, but it still will only be searching for relative motion for the surface object.
This means that although it looks like the surface is moving with the spline, it is actually the opposite: The spline finds a new area to go to, tells the tracking surface, and then moves with the surface if it is linked to it.
Manual tracking is different. When you have manual tracking on you are telling mocha to stop using the search area so you can move the surface object yourself. In essence, you are taking over the spline search area’s job of moving the surface to where you think it should go next.
If you want to use Manual tracking, switch on “Manual Track” in your layer parameters, then turn on your surface and move the corners to where you would like them to be.
If you need to mix Motion Tracking and Manual Tracking, keep in mind the parameters to set these modes are also automatically keyed, so make sure you set your keys carefully.

Hi Serge,

It doesn’t really work that way. I’ll try to explain:

Your spline is a search area. When you track an object in your scene, whatever is under the spline area will be analysed. The surface is the tracking information that is set as your search area spots motion/perspective differences between the frames.

By default, the spline search area is linked to the tracked surface so that if the object in the footage moves, the spline can keep searching where the tracked information is going. You can actually choose to unlink the spline so it stays put, or move it around the scene to find new areas to search, but it still will only be searching for relative motion for the surface object.

This means that although it looks like the surface is moving with the spline, it is actually the opposite: The spline finds a new area to go to, tells the tracking surface, and then moves with the surface if it is linked to it.

Manual tracking is different. When you have manual tracking on you are telling mocha to stop using the search area so you can move the surface object yourself. In essence, you are taking over the spline search area’s job of moving the surface to where you think it should go next.

If you want to use Manual tracking, switch on “Manual Track” in your layer parameters, then turn on your surface and move the corners to where you would like them to be.
If you need to mix Motion Tracking and Manual Tracking, keep in mind the parameters to set these modes are also automatically keyed, so make sure you set your keys carefully.

Hi Serge,

Apologies for the delay on that. I’ll get back to you asap.

Hi Serge,
Apologies for the delay on that. I’ll get back to you asap.

Thank you Martin.
I will do the Manual Track.

And, by the way, did you have any chance looking on my previous issue ?

Greetings to you

Serge

Hey All,
I know from some other threads, that the Surface has its own keyframes and behave different than the Spline. I also read something about this “Manual Track”, but didn’t understand it right now…
What is the exactely procedure to let the ‘Surface’ follow the keyframed Spline ?
Thank you and greetings
Serge

Thank you Martin.
I will do the Manual Track.
And, by the way, did you have any chance looking on my previous issue ?
Greetings to you
Serge