How Mocha Renders -in depth question

Hi,

I sometimes run into this issue and would love to know just how mocha renders using the remove tool.

ISSUE: I had to remove 3 blemishes from the left cheek and 3 blemishes from the right cheek.

I cleaned up the right side but when I started to remove the blemishes on the left side, I noticed the side that I already fixed, is starting to flicker or it gets “un removed” for a few frames.

WORKAROUND: I render out each “remove blemish” one by one. (very time consuming)

QUESTION: Why does Mocha screw around with my previous removed sections, if I have those layers OFF or LOCKED so they don’t re-render?

Thanks,

Lou

Sorry for the delay, we were at NAB all last week. For your blemishes, try rendering them out as a single matte layer, then bringing them in as a single layer. Delete their splines. You will end up with a MUCH faster remove and you will render them all at the same time. The reason you keep erasing other layers is that they are not being calculated on top of the input while you process other layers unless their gear is on, but processing all layers at once takes longer the more layers that you have.

Let me know if the consolidation of layers fixes you issue! If you have any more questions, we are happy to help you.

Cheers,
Mary

Yes, I actually discovered one of your webinars where you briefly discussed using a rendered out matte instead of separate masks. So I now understand that, however, what if you only have 2 blemishes to remove instead of 6, 0r 8 ? Do you recommend rendering out a matte of the two or only if there are several layers?

Oh, and BTW,

What’s the different if I render a B&W matte of 6 masks, OR…creating 6 masks that are all on 1 layer (using the Add spline to layer)

So basically I would have 1 layer which contains 6 masks (blemish masks)

Would this be "labor intense " as well?

Thanks!

It does not matter if you use black and white mattes all on one layer or splines all on one layer, the key is that it is all one layer. :slight_smile:

AH, cool. Thanks!