How to adjust cleanplate bit depth or file format?

Hi, I’m removing objects in Mocha Pro for AE V9.5.2 on Mac. Client sends me EXR files, which I import into AE, fix in Mocha, and export to EXRs to send back.

The issue I’m having is that the Remove area shows a crushed latitude from the rest of the video frame. I assume this is because the EXR is a 16- or 32-bit image, while the cleanplate appears to be 8-bit when imported to Photoshop.

I can see where to change color space for Cleanplates, but not bit depth or file format. Will cleanplates always be TIFs, or can they be EXRs? Can I force-output a 16-bit or 32-bit image?

Thank you for any guidance you can offer.

Look under File>Prefs>Clip to change to EXR.

You will also want to make sure your color space is set correctly for the project.

HTH

Hi @Ross_Shain , thank you for pointing me to that. I do have a further question. The dropdown for Integer Clip format only contains TIF and DPX options, whereas the Float Format contains EXR and TIF, and mine is already set to EXR, even though I’m never able to output anything as EXR. How do I output a Float cleanplate, since it appears I’m currently generating an Integer Cleanplate?

This might be an obvious question, but is your After Effects project settings set to 16 or 32 bpc?

When you load Mocha and go to the clip page, what does it say in the two format fields at the bottom of the Format section

1 Like

Hi @martinb, I am working in 16, though you are correct when I change to 32, it exports an EXR.

Is 32-bit necessary to generate EXRs? I’m often concerned about exploding file size with 32-bit files.

Thank you, this solves my issue.

When working in Mocha at least, we always output at the bit depth and resolution that was brought in.
If you set the default clip output to TIF in preferences and restart Mocha, you should get TIF instead, but EXR is fine. They’re both going to be about the same size anyway because we don’t compress the files to maintain the best 1-to-1 quality we can from the source material.

There’s nothing stopping you of course from re-saving the clean plate to another format and importing it again, but we output at that format for quality purposes.

Keep in mind you’re usually only saving a few clean plates at a time, so disk space shouldn’t be a problem.

1 Like