How to insert mask in fusion

Hi again,
I tried to follow Ben brownlees tutorial, but can’t seem to get it to work - can’t find anything in the manual.
I can do this with the mocha pro node, but want to understand how this works with the extracted node. How do I get this mask to work with this method - I must be missing something. (this is total beginner stuff and I’m really trying be patient and harvesting the info from these five resolve tutorials - If you got some more hidden somewhere about resolve/mocha, please don’t hesitate to help me on this journey).
Regards Soren

Hi!
What exact tutorial you’re trying to follow?
Try connecting your mask to the blue triangle of the Paint node. That will feed the alpha in, and the corresponding area would be cut out. You also probably would need to invert the alpha in the node settings.

I do not see your Mocha Pro node settings, but I might guess that most likely you enabled “Apply mate” checkbox the settings. That’s why it worked with the Merge node in the first case - cause you’re overlaying both RGB+ Alpha over the paint result. While when working with masks - we’re dealing with Alpha only.

Hi Elizabeth,
That works and I am beginning to get it, I think. (I think that I need to work more in layers when using mocha instead of putting it all in one comp like normal fusion work)
I was referring to no. 2 of Bens mocha / fusion (see attached at 6:35). I tried this with a mattecontrol, but can’t get this to work (I don’t have the control in the mattecontrol, i.e. I can’t get the blur effect via mattecontrol just as an example eventhough the mask is working (post multiply enabled)) - to get this, I need to put it directly in the input and then I need to have a new underlying layer in the timeline.

I’m not quite sure I’m getting what you’re trying to achieve. Ben is controlling the blur via controls in the mask node, and not the MatteControl. So the blur is controlled in each mask independently.

But if you need to use multiple masks and blur all of them, you can connect them all together in a row, then just add a Blur node at the end.
Pay attention that now we need to invert our alpha after we connected all the masks, and not in the mask node itself. Cause its not gonna give the right results with multiple masks connected.

Then just feed everything to the Alpha input (blue triangle) of the paint node. Does this setup works for you?

Alternatively, if for some reason you are crucial to use MatteControl, check the second screenshot. It’s gonna give you the same result, just being jointed in a different way.

1 Like

I’ll explore a bit. Thanks for explaining all this.
I’m a visual learner so 500 screenshots of fusion examples would be fantastic (just kidding).
/Soren

1 Like