How to track object that turns on the screen or goes off-screen

planar tracking and especially power powermesh. When an object goes off screen I squeeze the spline so powermesh can keep going but at some point there’s not enough data and the track is terminated. What’s the solution?
Also when someone’s back is turning away from the camera powermesh gets squeezed. Is there a solution for this?

There’s some options but they’re limited, you can copy and paste keyframes but that’s very clunky. Let me do some experiments and come back to this because it is a good question. We had some discussions in brainstorming about this very thing and I haven’t really played with the solutions but I should and should also probably make a tutorial for this very thing.

1 Like

With planar tracks, you can only track something off-screen by extending the shape to track something on the same plane. This way if the object you are tracking comes back on screen, the secondary shape will have kept it following along in the right position.

Turning planes are losing information in-screen and may not be easily restored without manual adjustment if the plane turns back towards the camera. With Meshes, this is particularly tricky, but one method is to copy the mesh keyframes at a “good” frame and paste them again at a frame where you want them to be restored, then manually adjust them into position.

1 Like

With planar tracks, you can only track something off-screen by extending the shape to track something on the same plane. This way if the object you are tracking comes back on screen, the secondary shape will have kept it following along in the right position.

I know that I thought maybe there was something else I can cos that’s limited

Turning planes are losing information in-screen and may not be easily restored without manual adjustment if the plane turns back towards the camera. With Meshes, this is particularly tricky, but one method is to copy the mesh keyframes at a “good” frame and paste them again at a frame where you want them to be restored, then manually adjust them into position.

That’s a lot of work Sigh

we were discussing this in the other thread. the best options are the paste method to regain lost track points. also don’t forget that we are dealing with 2D, there is no magic bullet that can reintegrate tracking data like this when pixels disappear from frame (other than something proprietary at ILM). When you see these kinds of things in the movies, they are more than likely using 3D geometry tracked and comped over the 2D images. I wouldn’t get too upset about not achieving what you want, it is by default not possible as of yet. but there ARE ways of being creative about achieving the desired end result. its the same as the concept of rotoscoping. we do it in “pieces” instead of trying to track the entire body.

1 Like