Importing footage

Hello all,

I was using version 1.1.2 on mac os x and had problems importing a qt file, tried an image sequence, still wouldn’t work. Looking for help, I came across this forum, found the new version (1.1.3), and downloaded it. Now the qt file would import, but after the second screen of the wizard, I would get an error message saying “failed to import…” and the file path. The image sequence still wouldn’t import at all. Now since these files were on an external hard drive, I thought I’ll try copying them to the internal hard drive. It shouldn’t really make a difference, but I was at a loss, so I thought I’ll give it a try. And guess what—it worked! both qt files and image sequences worked without a problem. Now I went back to version 1.1.2 (just out of curiosity) and it also worked without a problem. I just thought I’ll let you know there’s a problem importing files off of an external hard drive on the mac.

A. Perl
TAMotion

—Quote (Originally by TAMotion)—
Hello all,

I. Now the qt file would import, but after the second screen of the wizard, I would get an error message saying “failed to import…” and the file path. The image sequence still wouldn’t import at all.

A. Perl
TAMotion
—End Quote—

Thanks for the post. Could you please paste the exact message you were getting with the complete file path name. I would be interested to see if there were any discrepancies in the pathway.

Also could you confirm the nature of the connection to the hard drive (was it USB, Firewire) as well as any details with regards to any special methods used to mount the drive (I am assuming this is a volume that is automatically mounted into the finder).

Also can you open files from the server?

Essentially the software makes no discrepancies over the nature of a connection; it is the pathway that it uses to locate those files that is of interest.

Thank you for getting back to me with the results.

I am glad to see that you are up and running now.

The file path is as follows: (as it says in the ‘clip to import’ field in the first window.)

/Volumes/Mousie Minor/Footage:RevoStock ƒ/Farm Footage ƒ/Tractor Turn.mov

Ok, I get it! Now that you say it has something to do with the file path, I see it does. The folder which it reads as “Footage:RevoStock ƒ” is really “Footage/RevoStock ƒ” but since a forward slash is the way it shows the path, it replaces it with a colon. So after the second screen when it wants to load it, the path is wrong.

BTW, the path in the error message has some jibberish characters after that specific folder in the path. The drive is connected via FireWire 800.

I did test it now in a different folder on the same hard drive, and it works without a problem.

Thanks,

A. Perl
TAMotion