Importing tracking data to smoke (Linux 2012)

Hi,
I’m having a problem exporting tracking data from Mocha to Smoke.
I’ve tracked a phone screen in Mocha and exported ascii files using the IFFFS option. However, when I import each vertex of a bilinear surface in smoke, the xy coordinates are off the top of the screen and nowhere near the original points. There is also an additional centre file exported, but not sure how to apply this.
Any help appreciated.
gerry

Hi,
Just checked and all looks good. 1920x1080, HD, Pixel Aspect 1, and 25fps. I’ve also selected upper field first as it’s interlaced.

Don’t see an option for 16x9 but assume that’s not necessary with pixel aspect and frame size.

I’ve attached screengrabs from mocha.

I’m not sure why there is a centre channel exported as well as the four vertices.

Hi,
I’m having a problem exporting tracking data from Mocha to Smoke.
I’ve tracked a phone screen in Mocha and exported ascii files using the IFFFS option. However, when I import each vertex of a bilinear surface in smoke, the xy coordinates are off the top of the screen and nowhere near the original points. There is also an additional centre file exported, but not sure how to apply this.
Any help appreciated.
gerry

Thanks for getting back so quickly. I am starting on frame 1 and pretty sure i checked frame size, aspect and frame rate.

Thanks for getting back so quickly. I am starting on frame 1 and pretty sure i checked frame size, aspect and frame rate.

I’m back at work tomorrow so will double check then. Pretty amazing looking software BTW. Lots of depth that isn’t obvious at first.
gerry

I’m back at work tomorrow so will double check then. Pretty amazing looking software BTW. Lots of depth that isn’t obvious at first.
gerry

Hi,
Just checked and all looks good. 1920x1080, HD, Pixel Aspect 1, and 25fps. I’ve also selected upper field first as it’s interlaced.
Don’t see an option for 16x9 but assume that’s not necessary with pixel aspect and frame size.
I’ve attached screengrabs from mocha.
I’m not sure why there is a centre channel exported as well as the four vertices.

Hi …Mary,

Thanks for this, I’ve just watched the entire video which was great. However, I pretty much did the same process from Mocha to Smoke for the corner pin. There is a very large offset when importing the data to smoke and the scaling looks way off too. I agree that a mismatched aspect ration would be the obvious problem, but this is definitely not the case.

I wasn’t using a manual track and the tracking data looked perfect with the grid visible in Mocha.

It was intentional that the spline only covered the centre of the phone, as that was the section I was looking to replace.

Don’t worry too much, I’m sure I can work out what the problem is, and will let you know when i have.

many thanks
gerry

Hi …Mary,
Thanks for this, I’ve just watched the entire video which was great. However, I pretty much did the same process from Mocha to Smoke for the corner pin. There is a very large offset when importing the data to smoke and the scaling looks way off too. I agree that a mismatched aspect ration would be the obvious problem, but this is definitely not the case.
I wasn’t using a manual track and the tracking data looked perfect with the grid visible in Mocha.
It was intentional that the spline only covered the centre of the phone, as that was the section I was looking to replace.
Don’t worry too much, I’m sure I can work out what the problem is, and will let you know when i have.
many thanks
gerry

Hi there,

Are you bringing the data in on the first frame? Also, do the dimensions, frame rate, and aspect ratio of your smoke project match the dimensions, frame rate, and aspect ratio of your mocha project?

Cheers,
Mary

Hi there,
Are you bringing the data in on the first frame? Also, do the dimensions, frame rate, and aspect ratio of your smoke project match the dimensions, frame rate, and aspect ratio of your mocha project?
Cheers,
Mary

Can you double check the aspect ratio and frame/composite size? That is usually the issue when the corner pin is off.
Where is your surface tool aligned in mocha? The surface tool represents the corner pin, not the spline. If you had screenshots of the shot in mocha and in smoke that would help, if possible.
Cheers!
Mary

Can you double check the aspect ratio and frame/composite size? That is usually the issue when the corner pin is off.

Where is your surface tool aligned in mocha? The surface tool represents the corner pin, not the spline. If you had screenshots of the shot in mocha and in smoke that would help, if possible.

Cheers!
Mary

Hi there,
I have a some good news!
I also wanted to let you know, we have a walkthrough up of a workflow from mocha to smoke. You can find that here: https://vimeo.com/42554633
The bit that is particularly relevant to you is at about 15 minutes in, but I would recommend you check out the whole thing.
Let me know if you continue to have issues after this. Also, from what I saw of your surface in mocha is that the surface does not go to the entire surface of the screen. Is that intentional? Also, it looks like you’re in manual track in your screenshots. Have you been adjusting the surface in manual track? The surface is what represents how your data will move in the final shot, and adjusting the surface in manual track actually animates the track instead of the track animating the surface.
Cheers,
Mary

Can you add a screenshot of what it looks like in smoke?
Cheers,
Mary

Can you add a screenshot of what it looks like in smoke?

Cheers,
Mary

Hi there,

I have a some good news!

I also wanted to let you know, we have a walkthrough up of a workflow from mocha to smoke. You can find that here: https://vimeo.com/42554633

The bit that is particularly relevant to you is at about 15 minutes in, but I would recommend you check out the whole thing.

Let me know if you continue to have issues after this. Also, from what I saw of your surface in mocha is that the surface does not go to the entire surface of the screen. Is that intentional? Also, it looks like you’re in manual track in your screenshots. Have you been adjusting the surface in manual track? The surface is what represents how your data will move in the final shot, and adjusting the surface in manual track actually animates the track instead of the track animating the surface.

Cheers,
Mary