Instabilitiy in Mocha Pro 3.1.1 build 5881

Mocha seems to be very unstable for me especially with the remove tool. This particular clip crashed a at least 6 times so I made a screen capture video (https://pantherfile.uwm.edu/wescott/public/MochaBug.mov) of what I was doing…
Basically, I did a quick partial track of the MLB logo to remove it. You’ll notice the surface disappears after frame 11 and I have no idea why. I had it also happen while working on other similar shots. I had to restart the project from scratch when it happens otherwise it will just eventually crash Mocha if I continue working on the project.
The remove module crashes on me often if I attempt to change illumination models or do any reasonable amount of key framing. Also, if i adjust the dissolve width it never actually makes a key frame on the timeline. Sometimes it will forget what value I set or use random numbers as well. So I can set the dissolve width to say 5 and scrub down and set a new value. Then I will go back to my original and it will be some random value like 100 which I never set anywhere else… So not sure what’s going on.

First of all, just let me say how nice it is to watch an artist using mocha so fluidly!

I believe the problem is to do with the surface ‘disappearing’.

This can happen when there is not much information for the tracker to go on and can sometimes distort the data so much it throws the surface completely. You will probably see the surface somewhere very far off the canvas, if at all.

I assume the crash is occurring because you hit this area on the remove and suddenly there is abnormal data for the remove tool to deal with. I will still flag a defect for this however, as mocha should not crash in any circumstances.

What I recommend is enlarging the tracking area to encompass his brow as well, (which seem not to move during the turn). This may give mocha just enough extra data to work with.

Keyframes in the remove GUI are contextual, so if you click in the parameters to alter a field or radio value, the blue highlight around it indicates a keyframeable parameter.
I will confirm, but I think some of these keys are not being shown correctly in the dopesheet, which I agree makes it difficult! I will chase this up.

First of all, just let me say how nice it is to watch an artist using mocha so fluidly!
I believe the problem is to do with the surface ‘disappearing’.
This can happen when there is not much information for the tracker to go on and can sometimes distort the data so much it throws the surface completely. You will probably see the surface somewhere very far off the canvas, if at all.
I assume the crash is occurring because you hit this area on the remove and suddenly there is abnormal data for the remove tool to deal with. I will still flag a defect for this however, as mocha should not crash in any circumstances.
What I recommend is enlarging the tracking area to encompass his brow as well, (which seem not to move during the turn). This may give mocha just enough extra data to work with.
Keyframes in the remove GUI are contextual, so if you click in the parameters to alter a field or radio value, the blue highlight around it indicates a keyframeable parameter.
I will confirm, but I think some of these keys are not being shown correctly in the dopesheet, which I agree makes it difficult! I will chase this up.

Can you send me your project file and the clip? We may need it for further testing.
martinb[at]imagineersystems.com

Can you send me your project file and the clip? We may need it for further testing.

martinb[at]imagineersystems.com

Mocha seems to be very unstable for me especially with the remove tool. This particular clip crashed a at least 6 times so I made a screen capture video (https://pantherfile.uwm.edu/wescott/public/MochaBug.mov) of what I was doing…

Basically, I did a quick partial track of the MLB logo to remove it. You’ll notice the surface disappears after frame 11 and I have no idea why. I had it also happen while working on other similar shots. I had to restart the project from scratch when it happens otherwise it will just eventually crash Mocha if I continue working on the project.

The remove module crashes on me often if I attempt to change illumination models or do any reasonable amount of key framing. Also, if i adjust the dissolve width it never actually makes a key frame on the timeline. Sometimes it will forget what value I set or use random numbers as well. So I can set the dissolve width to say 5 and scrub down and set a new value. Then I will go back to my original and it will be some random value like 100 which I never set anywhere else… So not sure what’s going on.

Just to clarify I’ve restarted the track on this clip at least a half dozen times. I’ve tried tracking just the logo, logo + hat, logo + hat + brows. It just when I recorded it this time I saw it actually lose the surface and make note of it. I’m not 100% sure if this occurred every other time it crashed but it’s possible it did.
If you review the video again you’ll notice the remove doesn’t make it to frame 11 (where it loses the surface) but in fact crashes on frame 14. I guess it’s still possible it was looking ahead or using frame 11 or lower to do some work and causing the crash. However, even if the surface is way the hell out in nowhere land it probably shouldn’t crash.
Also, I’m pretty sure in other cases when I noticed a surface getting lost I went into the dope sheet and erased the keyframes for the track. However, I was never able to get the surface to return to the proper spot. I always ended up rebuilding the project over again from scratch.So perhaps the problem lies deeper than just bad tracking data.

Just to clarify I’ve restarted the track on this clip at least a half dozen times. I’ve tried tracking just the logo, logo + hat, logo + hat + brows. It just when I recorded it this time I saw it actually lose the surface and make note of it. I’m not 100% sure if this occurred every other time it crashed but it’s possible it did.

If you review the video again you’ll notice the remove doesn’t make it to frame 11 (where it loses the surface) but in fact crashes on frame 14. I guess it’s still possible it was looking ahead or using frame 11 or lower to do some work and causing the crash. However, even if the surface is way the hell out in nowhere land it probably shouldn’t crash.

Also, I’m pretty sure in other cases when I noticed a surface getting lost I went into the dope sheet and erased the keyframes for the track. However, I was never able to get the surface to return to the proper spot. I always ended up rebuilding the project over again from scratch.So perhaps the problem lies deeper than just bad tracking data.