Is Premiere MochaVR faster than AE MochaVR? and Standalone?

Hi, I would like to say, Thank you all for fantastic software and Awesome Tutorials(I’m loving it!)

I’m currently working on several VR projects, and I found that, working on Premiere Mocha VR is much faster than working on AE. It may be due to, AE requires gigabytes of memory to playback but Premiere doenot.
(Like working 4K - 8K, playbacking is way too slow on AE, but Premiere doesnot)

My questions are
1.Does Mocha VR’s calculation speed depend on its software playback speed?
2.Is this can be improved somehow?(I know that you put a lot of efforts for speeding things up…)
(Maybe for tracking inside AE, half /Quarter the resolution for faster calculations might be the answer?)

3.Also, is standalone Mocha VR faster than Mocha VR in AE or Premiere?
(I have Adobe plugin license, so I cannot test Standalone one out…)

My Mocha VR Adobe2018 workflow right now is
1.Edit inside Premiere(2018) then, Do the MochaVR Tracking inside Premiere. Save Mocha file somewhere.
2.Make AE(2018) project file from Clip, Save it somewhere, then open AE project.
3.Open Mocha file inside AE(You might skip it), then do removals on PS(2018)/AE back and forth…etc
4.Render Everything. Put it on top layer, Hide Other layers, Save the AE project file.
5.Go back to Premiere, Done and Repeat !

I do this, because our great Remove module sometimes works strange and requires Rendering.
I work as a team, so it is much easier to pass the “Mocha VR ready AE file” to others for complex comp.

1. If there is alternative workflow, I am happy to hear from you!

Cheers

kobataro from Japan

Hi Kobataro! We are glad you enjoy our tutorials!

Let me answer some of your questions!

1.Does Mocha VR’s calculation speed depend on its software playback speed?

Mocha, when running as a plugin, relies on the host to process the clips. If you are finding different speeds between hosts, yes, it usually depends on how the host is processing the clips.

2.Is this can be improved somehow?

Using uncompressed clips or frame sequences instead of .MOV files can help speed things up. Anything to make the footage easier for the host to decode.

3.Also, is standalone Mocha VR faster than Mocha VR in AE or Premiere?

We have not done tests for this, the main reason users turn to the standalone is not wanting to tie up host licenses when working on specific mocha tasks.

My Mocha VR Adobe2018 workflow right now is
1.Edit inside Premiere(2018) then, Do the MochaVR Tracking inside Premiere. Save Mocha file somewhere.
2.Make AE(2018) project file from Clip, Save it somewhere, then open AE project.
3.Open Mocha file inside AE(You might skip it), then do removals on PS(2018)/AE back and forth…etc
4.Render Everything. Put it on top layer, Hide Other layers, Save the AE project file.
5.Go back to Premiere, Done and Repeat !

We actually find that, for VR shots specifically, rendering inside mocha and exporting that rendered clip via file>export rendered clip before you close mocha and importing that render back to the timeline manually, we can save a lot of work for the host software. VR files are so large that they can sometimes be a lot to ask of a host in a timely manner. I never do this with normal 2K and 4K footage, but equirectangular VR shots are so huge and so time consuming to process, it can be a struggle for the host to keep up. The standalone can process this as well without tying up the host and it’s a little easier to retrieve the temporary renders in the standalone.

Your mileage may vary depending on your needs.

Cheers,
Mary

Thank you so much for your comment!
Oh I see, I totally missed that you can render inside Mocha, too!

Once again, thank you for your tips!!

Cheers,

kobataro