Is this possible in Mocha for AE? (center-point tracking)

This is what I want to do:

I want to track the edges of a green square marker on the floor, and then use the center of the “surface” as the anchor point for a flat 2D object so it appears that it is standing on the marker.

Hopefully this explains what I mean better:

Image: http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/1782/questionru9.png

I’ve already worked with spline/surface tracking on picture frames and whatnot, but I do not know how to accomplish this.

Hi shoopdabloop,

I think there is a straightforward way to do this that gets you translation rotation and scale, which might be enough depending on the camera move.

1. Track the surface in Mocha and export as transform data.
  2. Paste the data onto a null object in AE.
  3. Parent your the new layer (the object you want to insert) to the null object you just created.
  4. Position the layer correctly in the first frame.
  5. Promote the layer to 3D and add an X-rotation to make the object stand up towards the camera.

Hope this helps.

J-P

Seems to me that this is a 3D track (depending on the camera move) snd that you are asking to rotate the mocha surface in 3D.

This is not something that mocha can natively do. Imagineer’s other product “monet” does have a 3D rotation tool, so it maybe worth looking into.

Possibly an AE expression guru, could offer a solution based on mocha’s export, but it is not something that can be done by default.

Will add “3D rotate” to feature request list for mochav2 but can’t promise anything.

All the best,
R

—Quote (Originally by shoopdabloop)—
This is what I want to do:

I want to track the edges of a green square marker on the floor, and then use the center of the “surface” as the anchor point for a flat 2D object so it appears that it is standing on the marker.

Hopefully this explains what I mean better:

Image: http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/1782/questionru9.png

I’ve already worked with spline/surface tracking on picture frames and whatnot, but I do not know how to accomplish this.
—End Quote—

would this really be a 3d rotation? because i only want to interpret the camera’s roll.

thanks; i will try that as soon as i can.