Issue with Tracking Clean Patches in Fusion

Okay, I’ve been over this issue left, front and center with the Fusion guys, but thought I would post here too because it seems to be specifically an issue with Mocha tracking data. Without ever getting to the bottom of it, everyone kept saying “just use the planar tracker in Fusion” and I was like, ‘guys it’s nowhere near as capable as Mocha, that is not the right solution here…’

SO – Here’s the issue. Mary, perhaps you can bestow some wisdom from on high…

I’m coming from After Effects (and Flame, but I’ll get there in a minute) – and in After Effects we are spoiled by the fact that all of the parenting is Relative. Meaning, you have your tracking data, and you pickwhip your layer to it and BOOM it’s tracking along. It’s left perfectly in place.

The issue is, other compositing software, like Flame, and Fusion uses Absolute positioning, meaning that when you attach something to a tracker it’s going to JUMP to where the center of that tracker is. Maybe sometimes that’s what you want, but actually 99% of the time in my case that is not what I want.

Let me give you an example – Let’s say that I’m doing some cleanup on a shot, and I need to freeze a clean patch and track it back over the shot to cover up some wires or markers or something. Obviously if I freeze the frame on a given frame, that is the frame I want it to stay. But in Fusion, if I then attach it to a tracker it’s gonna jump to where the tracker is.

What I’m coming to discover from the Fusion guys is, currently (supposedly) there is no way to account for this offset…which seems insane.

Here is a video to demonstrate how stupid easy this is in After Effects – https://vimeo.com/279131829/12b5e7d516

And here is a video demonstrating how this issue is addressed in Flame – New Axis Adjustment Offset in Action - Flame Premium 2014 - YouTube

It seems that in Fusion there is literally no way to accomplish this. Don’t believe me? For anyone brave enough to try, here is a very basic Comp demonstrating the issue.

***Also real quick, I know that I can jump into Mocha to my given freeze frame and “Align Selected Surface” which is fine and would work for ONE patch. But let’s say I want to use this same tracking data set and I have multiple patches on different frames? Is going into Mocha, realigning the surface, exporting a new tracker node really the solution? I don’t think so. That’s clunky and slow and not smart workflow.

Also, like in my example comp posted above, once you are just dealing the with tracker node itself then you are cut off from that ability and back to being screwed.

So I think your best bet would be using corner pins or relative positioning in Mocha for the tracker node to accomplish this but as you say, that is a bit clunky for multiple uses.

This might be something to make a feature request for. I can poke Martin about it. Essentially there is no relative positioning in the host, though, and that’s very limiting on what we can do with the data.

So I found a solution in case anyone else is having this issue.

This is from the guys over at the We Suck Less Fusion forum – https://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckless/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2340&p=18277#p18277

The most elegant solution is to install a script included in Fusion Reactor called “TrackerPlus” which allows you to set any frame you like as the reference frame, which will be the frame that it will keep your image in place.

This isn’t something that the native Fusion tracker node does by default, but with the script it works.

Great, thank you for letting us know!