It just won't track. Why?

Hi

I love Mocha (AE) and have been playing w/ it for a few weeks…I just ran into a problem.

Here’s the situation:

A man is on a couch watching TV. The camera is behind him , over his shoulder, looking at the TV…the camera pans left and the TV is no longer in frame. I want the image to STAY inside the TV and leave w/ it…Right now, after doing all the proper steps so I think, the track matte starts off correct on frame one but continues to be in frame, leaving the TV set altogether. What is it tracking? There’s a reflection on the TV but I used the spline matte to IGNORE it…not sure what else I can do…

Can anyone please help? I’d really appreciate it.

Thanks

—Quote (Originally by Rupert Pupkin)—
Hi

I love Mocha (AE) and have been playing w/ it for a few weeks…I just ran into a problem.

Here’s the situation:

A man is on a couch watching TV. The camera is behind him , over his shoulder, looking at the TV…the camera pans left and the TV is no longer in frame. I want the image to STAY inside the TV and leave w/ it…Right now, after doing all the proper steps so I think, the track matte starts off correct on frame one but continues to be in frame, leaving the TV set altogether. What is it tracking? There’s a reflection on the TV but I used the spline matte to IGNORE it…not sure what else I can do…

Can anyone please help? I’d really appreciate it.

Thanks
—End Quote—

Without seeing the actual shot, it’s a bit hard to give exact advice.
But try tracking elements other elements in the shot that are static (as is the TV).

The idea being that as the TV starts to exit the frame either add a spline to the layer or extend the existing splines to include elements outside the TV.

At this point the Motion model becomes critical i.e. if at this point the TV has no real perspective change - probably changing the Track/Motion to Scale and perhaps include Rotation. It really depends on the pan and the other elements you choose to include on tracking.

Ideally the additional tracking elements need to be on the same or similar plane but when dealing with a pan - often the motion of static elements within the scene are very similar. In the end we are actually tracking the camera and the pan motion is what we achieve vs the motion of the individual elements.

Make sure you have the correct splines set to TRACK (ie: the little ‘COG’ symbol in the layers palette should NOT be crossed out. Also, make sure you have some good ref point for adjust track if your subject is going off screen.