Just install Particle illusion standalone free edition

Hi,
I was very excited to give it a try
but the software doesn’t even allow me to click it
The window keep popping between full res and on a window.

Im on Win10
Thank you
Johnny

Hi,

I’ve the same problem. I am also on Win10. It seems that Particle Illusion is squashed to the right side of the screen. But it seems that you can’t drag it to the left.

Might just need an update. :slight_smile:

Hi,

You can reset the workspace / window layout by selecting View>Load Layout: Default. Please let us know if this solves the problem.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your feedback. But you can’t click on View or any of the other commands as it will rapidly change between windowed and fullscreen mode, even pressing ALT won’t open the menu.
You can select emitter libraries but you have to hover far to the right of what you want to select. It looks fullscreen on the screen, but the buttons seem to be squashed to the right. I hope that my description is comprehensible.
I also tried to re-install but that didn’t solve the issue.

Hi Xing,

Interesting - we’ve never seen that behavior in our labs. What are the specs of the system that you’re using? We’ll also need specs on the video card from this system.

Thanks!

These are my specs:
AMD FX-8350 8-core 4.00 GHz
16 GB Ram
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 (8 GB VRAM)
Windows 10 Pro Version 1909 64bit (clean OS install, maybe 4 weeks old)

I hope this helps. :slight_smile:

Hi Xing,

This might be related to the resolution configuration. How many monitors do you have? What resolution do you have on your monitor(s)? Are any of the monitor scaled and if so at which scaling are you setting it to?

Thanks,
Linh

Hi Linh,

1st monitor: 1920x1080
2nd monitor: 1920x1200
Both set to 100% scaling.

Hi Xing,

Have you used PI on both monitors? Which monitor is set to your primary monitor?

I’ll try out this configuration.

Thanks,
Linh

I can only start PI on my primary monitor.
My primary monitor is the first one. The second monitor is to the left of my primary monitor.
The setup looks like this:
| 1200p (secondary) | | 1080p (primary) |

Thanks for your help. :slight_smile:

Hi Xing,

Have you tried to unplug one of the monitors to see if this helps isolate the problem?

1 Like

Hi Xing,

I’ve set up the same configuration but I’m not seeing this issue.
Can you try pressing Ctrl+1 to reset back to default when you have PI open?

If that still doesn’t work can you export your Particle Illusion registry and send it to us?

Open up registry editor.
Navigate to the following location: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\BorisFX\Particle_Illusion_Standalone
Right click Particle_Illusion_Standalone and export the registry

Thanks,
Linh

Hi Xing,

I got your support ticket letting me know that unplugging the second monitor, launching Particle Illusion, then plugging the second monitor back in worked and that Particle Illusion is now operating as expected on your system. Thanks for letting me know - I’m including that info here in case anyone else encounters the same issue.

Cheers,
Peter.

Hi, yes it fix it, by unplugging my second monitor, but this is not a real fix, I can’t work on a single monitor.
Thank you

I just discovered PI has been released for free and just now installed it (Windows 10 Enterprise).

For me the window opened full screen, after resizing it down, it’s working fine for me.

Let me try closing it and going back in…

…Noap, it open back up in exactly the same spot and size.

-Will