Layer ordering - confused

Hello all

I am new to Mocha but I m confused with layer ordering. In some official tutorial videos, instructors are doing different-opposite things each other.

For example

In this video (No1) the instructor put at the top the layer which is father of the camera (the background)

But in this video the instructor put at the top the layer which is closer to the camera :

So what is the proper layer ordering in mocha ? I am confused.

Put layers closer to camera at the top of the layer pile. Sometimes you can get away with not doing that, but best practice for complex occlusions will always be objects closest to the camera at the top of the layer pile. With limited exceptions where those objects cover too much and have to be moved manually or where offset tracking is involved.

Please let me know if you have any more questions and I will be happy to help you.

Cheers,
Mary

thank you for the answer.

It is a clear advise :slight_smile: … However why the above instructor say to put layers closer to the camera at the bottom pile ? In the first video above, he is tracking this way. in the second video, at 3.15, the other instructor say the rule is “to put the layer closer to camera at the bottom” but he is doing the exact opposite.
Is there cases where the proper order of layers can differ ? For example is it the same order if you want a 3d solve tracking and the same order if you want to remove something ?

thank you

P.S. I guess this is a question for many users of Mocha :slight_smile:

I could not tell you, perhaps they misspoke.

Sometimes there are situations where you do need to move the occlusion layer down, removes can be one of those times if the occlusion layer is huge. But it’s very situational.

In the top video, the order of the layers did not matter, because they were not overlapping.
In general it’s good practice to keep layer order from nearest to farthest, especially in Remove projects, but it’s not absolutely necessary if the layers never cross over each other.

1 Like