Learning about planar tracking

I have watched several tutorials and I’m still a bit hazy on what each of the options in Mocha for Final Cut do. Is there a place where I can just get a glossary of terms to get me started quickly?

Corner pinning, for example, is a term that makes total sense to even a newbie like me. However, the option to export “basic motion” or “distort” XML gets confusing if you’re just looking at the demos. When would I use one over the other?

I just purchased mocha for FCP and the Turtle tutorials but have not had a chance to go through all the lessons. I have a shoot tomorrow that will require mocha to complete a video screen insert shot.

My question is this; do I need to use tracking markers on the screen if I’m using mocha? I saw on lesson two that a screen replacement required painting out of the markers which were not even used to track the shot in mocha. Is the addition of tracking markers for such a shot just more work if mocha doesn’t require them/

Thanks for your assistance.

Thanks for your assistance JP.

—Quote (Originally by J-P)—
You should watch this video on how to shoot for planar tracking:

http://www.imagineersystems.com/support/tutorials/movies/How_to_Shoot_Tracking

You don’t need tracking markers unless you want to track a surface with no texture, e.g. a green screen with no edges in shot.

Best regards,

J-P
—End Quote—

Hi tim-mattison,

Distort is essentially what Final Cut Pro calls corner-pinning, whereas basic motion is position/rotation/scale without any corner-pin distortion.

You would use distort/corner-pin most often when the item you need to place in FCP has any sort of perspective change, such as a sign on the side of a turning bus. It is also useful for some stabilization cases.

Basic motion is useful for overall footage stabilization as well as for tracking objects that have minimal or unnoticable perspective changes. An example is if you needed to attach a speech bubble to the head of a moving person.

A lot of the features inside mocha can be further explained by hovering your mouse over them. In most cases a small piece of descriptive text (ie. tooltip) comes up to explain what the feature does. More detailed descriptions can be found in the manual.