Lens distortion across multiple projects

Hello everybody -
Using mochaPro Version 2.6.2 build 4468 Build Date Jan 11 2012. We have a sequence of about fifteen shots that were all shot with the same lens. We need to apply lens distortion, and have lens maps (checkerboard lens charts) which were shot during principal photography. Because these charts are checkerboards, it can take quite a while to calibrate one…
Do I have to calibrate the lens distortion on every shot, or is there a way to import that info from one project to another? It may not sound like a big deal, but it starts to add up.
Working with 2k cineon files (scanned from anamorphic 35mm) if that makes a difference.

Did you resolve this. I am also confused. Surely I don’t have recalibrate every shot, when the lens is the same???

—Quote (Originally by brentonf)—
Hi Mary-

Any reason this won’t work?

I’ve been playing around with a possible workaround - open the XML file and manually enter the K1 value in the lens tab (I want to distort the track). Any reason this won’t work?

We have calibration grids shot at panavision during principal photography. The problem we have is that there are 15 anamorphic panavision lenses for which we have checkerboard lens charts - it takes me at least ten minutes per to calibrate each one, and there are over a hundred shots we’re doing (I’ve been assigned 27).

cheers!

brenton
—End Quote—

I am currently using AE CC Mocha 3.1.0 - does the paid upgrade allow me to do this?

—Quote (Originally by MaryP)—
Hi there,

In the newest version of mocha’s lens tool, you can save out a distort and undistort map and load them back into any other shot, so you no longer have to calibrate for every shot. So this thread is no longer relevant.

Cheers,
Mary
—End Quote—

Thanks or the reply.

That’s seems harsh on AE users. I was hoping to calibrate my lenses once, and get on with shots. :frowning:

I can’t really justify buying 3.1 - so I guess I’ll have to buy AE version , callibrate my lenses, , undistorted my (shots in AE) and carry on in Mocha?

best wishes

Hello everybody -

Using mochaPro Version 2.6.2 build 4468 Build Date Jan 11 2012. We have a sequence of about fifteen shots that were all shot with the same lens. We need to apply lens distortion, and have lens maps (checkerboard lens charts) which were shot during principal photography. Because these charts are checkerboards, it can take quite a while to calibrate one…

Do I have to calibrate the lens distortion on every shot, or is there a way to import that info from one project to another? It may not sound like a big deal, but it starts to add up.

Working with 2k cineon files (scanned from anamorphic 35mm) if that makes a difference.

You don’t, you use the clip you used for calibration to calibrate the lens on the new clip in mocha.
It’s on our wish list!
Cheers,
Mary
—End Quote—
Hello,
On Jan 20, you wrote this:
“Hi Brenton,
No, you should just be able to save the XML out and then load it into your other shots in the lens tab, and render everything out undistorted from mocha. There’s no need to calibrate for every shot if they were shot with the exact same lens.
Cheers,
Mary”
It appears that sausagehead has run into the same problem I have - there are lots of export buttons, but no import buttons to be seen under the lens tab.
Was your reply on the twentieth referring to a beta version of the software? If this is an unimplemented feature, what is the timeframe for release? I have 15 shots and a calibration chart that is a checkerboard, it takes me at least 15 minutes to calibrate the chart, so that ends up being over three hours of work that in other tracking packages is as simple as hitting a button and importing a file.
I’ve gone through all the documentation, and have found info re: lens data export, but see no info re: getting the lens data back into a project. Am I missing something? If so, my apologies, but I’m not looking forward to going cross-eyed calibrating each shot…
cheers!
brenton

You don’t, you use the clip you used for calibration to calibrate the lens on the new clip in mocha.

It’s on our wish list!

Cheers,
Mary
—End Quote—
Hello,

On Jan 20, you wrote this:

"Hi Brenton,

No, you should just be able to save the XML out and then load it into your other shots in the lens tab, and render everything out undistorted from mocha. There’s no need to calibrate for every shot if they were shot with the exact same lens.

Cheers,
Mary"

It appears that sausagehead has run into the same problem I have - there are lots of export buttons, but no import buttons to be seen under the lens tab.

Was your reply on the twentieth referring to a beta version of the software? If this is an unimplemented feature, what is the timeframe for release? I have 15 shots and a calibration chart that is a checkerboard, it takes me at least 15 minutes to calibrate the chart, so that ends up being over three hours of work that in other tracking packages is as simple as hitting a button and importing a file.

I’ve gone through all the documentation, and have found info re: lens data export, but see no info re: getting the lens data back into a project. Am I missing something? If so, my apologies, but I’m not looking forward to going cross-eyed calibrating each shot…

cheers!

brenton

Hi Mary-
I’ve been playing around with a possible workaround - open the XML file and manually enter the K1 value in the lens tab (I want to distort the track). Any reason this won’t work?
We have calibration grids shot at panavision during principal photography. The problem we have is that there are 15 anamorphic panavision lenses for which we have checkerboard lens charts - it takes me at least ten minutes per to calibrate each one, and there are over a hundred shots we’re doing (I’ve been assigned 27).
cheers!
brenton

Hi Mary-

cheers!

brenton

Hi Brenton,

No, unfortunately I made an error when describing how to import lens data, and I apologize. I accidentally gave you the wrong information. Though I will find and correct that thread now.

Cheers,
Mary

Hi Brenton,
Cheers,
Mary

Hi Brenton,

Cheers,
Mary

It’s on our wish list!
Cheers,
Mary

It’s on our wish list!

Cheers,
Mary

Hi Brenton,
No, unfortunately I made an error when describing how to import lens data, and I apologize. I accidentally gave you the wrong information. Though I will find and correct that thread now.
Cheers,
Mary

Hi there,

It is not intended to be harsh on AE users, most general AE users do not normally need ST maps, but more Pro users might need them. That’s why we make Pro and allow it to save out ST maps, the main reason being so that it can export to nuke but it has the added bonus of being able to reimport into mocha. We are sorry if this is an inconvenience.

Mocha AE 3.1 will still solve your lenses for you, it just won’t allow you to save out ST maps and bring them back into mocha for other shots in bulk.

You can always download a trial of Pro here and test it out to see if you do think it is worth it to upgrade: Boris FX | Downloads

Cheers,
Mary

Hi there,

In the newest version of mocha’s lens tool, you can save out a distort and undistort map and load them back into any other shot, so you no longer have to calibrate for every shot. So this thread is no longer relevant.

Cheers,
Mary

No, mocha AE v3.1 will not allow you to export ST maps this way, but mocha Pro v3.1 will.

You can see exactly what all our products do here: Boris FX | Mocha Pro 2022.5

Where is it you import the XML in the lens module?

Where is it you import the XML in the lens module?