Lets talk Requests

Hay guys! Thats right, the D-man is back in da house! For how long? Well…only the toes knows!! :slight_smile: So lets talk turky shall we?

REQUESTS:

IÂ’m not sure if these things have been added to the new build or not so ill just request them again for safety sake:

1.) A nudge tool: A roto artist needs the ability to finesse a roto shape on a pixel by pixel bases. This is best accomplished if you allow the artist to select the shape and move it (ever so gently) with the arrow keys on the keyboard. This eliminates the notion to move the shape too much or too little with the point and click of the mouse.

2.) Right Click on the Layer Controls, layer and have the “Rename Layer” option. Seems trivial I know, but its really not. Gimme gimme gimme!!!

3.) There NEEDS to be a way to CANCEL all tracking info BETWEEN key frames. EX: When I track a shape all the way through and I pick a spot to adjust/correct, the INTERPOLATION between those to key frames need to be corrected also (NOT remain the same despite my adjustments or get really weird because of them). I have noticed this a few times.

4.) Is there a way to frame forward and back using the keyboard alone? Currently I understand that this function is on the mouse wheel, but it would be nice to also have this function somewhere on the keyboard.

5.) A faster Tracker: The tracker, as it stands, in the build I have (again I know this may be better in the newest build) is very slow. Tracking a single box on a 1440 x 1080 plate for 50 frames is taking easily 30 mins at a time. My Auto Channel = 55, Angle and Zoom = 10. Because of sheer crunch time priorities, despite the possible tracking benefit of the program, its more practical to roto the job in another program. IF im wrong, please let me know. I have tried dropping the Angle and Zoom to 5 and it does go a bit faster, but I thought the entire point of those settings was to achieve a better more accurate track? So reducing the numbers and working more on corrections doesnÂ’t seem to be the better solution.

Again I know that I am not working with the most current build, so if these problems have been corrected already just let me knowÂ……ANDÂ…please send us the latest build when you can. We need it now.

I have no doubt that Motor is going to revolutionize rotoscoping, but until then “Lets make a program people!!” 

Keep on rocking in a free world,
Dartayous

—Quote (Originally by dartayous)—
Hay guys! Thats right, the D-man is back in da house! For how long? Well…only the toes knows!! :slight_smile: So lets talk turky shall we?

—End Quote—
Welcome back! All the best for the year. Hope you had a break over Xmas and New Year.

REQUESTS:

I’m not sure if these things have been added to the new build or not so ill just request them again for safety sake:

1.) A nudge tool: A roto artist needs the ability to finesse a roto shape on a pixel by pixel bases. This is best accomplished if you allow the artist to select the shape and move it (ever so gently) with the arrow keys on the keyboard. This eliminates the notion to move the shape too much or too little with the point and click of the mouse.
—End Quote—

That request has been on the list, just can not tell when it will appear in Motor, as we have many other priorities.

2.) Right Click on the Layer Controls, layer and have the “Rename Layer” option. Seems trivial I know, but its really not. Gimme gimme gimme!!!

—End Quote—

It is possible on Beta4 but double clicking the layer?
Right click pops up a Contextual Right Click Menu.

3.) There NEEDS to be a way to CANCEL all tracking info BETWEEN key frames. EX: When I track a shape all the way through and I pick a spot to adjust/correct, the INTERPOLATION between those to key frames need to be corrected also (NOT remain the same despite my adjustments or get really weird because of them). I have noticed this a few times.

—End Quote—

We have been hard at work implementing the Curve Editor to address this very issue and many others. It’s proven to be an enormous tasks but future benefits make it well worth the effort.

What you are referring to sounds like a case where you are fighting the tracking and being able manipulate tracking keyframes in the Curve Editor will resolve the issue.

4.) Is there a way to frame forward and back using the keyboard alone? Currently I understand that this function is on the mouse wheel, but it would be nice to also have this function somewhere on the keyboard.

—End Quote—

The current keys are 4 and 6 (Cursor buttons on Numeric Keypad)
We have added an additional short cut, Ctrl+Left/Right cursor.

5.) A faster Tracker: The tracker, as it stands, in the build I have (again I know this may be better in the newest build) is very slow. Tracking a single box on a 1440 x 1080 plate for 50 frames is taking easily 30 mins at a time. My Auto Channel = 55, Angle and Zoom = 10. Because of sheer crunch time priorities, despite the possible tracking benefit of the program, its more practical to roto the job in another program. IF im wrong, please let me know. I have tried dropping the Angle and Zoom to 5 and it does go a bit faster, but I thought the entire point of those settings was to achieve a better more accurate track? So reducing the numbers and working more on corrections doesn’t seem to be the better solution.

—End Quote—
A couple of things here, bare in mind I don’t have the actual shot you are refering to.

1. With our tracker being so robust and tracking large sections as opposed to points, it still tracks well on proxy resolution. So the first thing I would consider is drop the resolution (View Controls, top right)
  2. Auto channel should be used only when Luminance seems to fail.
    The Luminance option is general a better option.

The Min Pixels Used more then often work at 50%. The higher the value the more accurate the track but at the cost of speed.
Good use of a low value would be to track an element that has subtle shadows or highlight moving across it. Ensuring the tracker is not affected by the subtle motion and rather tracking the over all motion.
3. Angle and Zoom are very costly when it comes to tracking.
Considering the fact that Angel/Zoom works on a per frame value. i.e. The image needs to rotate or scale more then the value per frame. I’d leave these as 0 unless the track fails and it’s due to obvious rotation or scale (Zoom).

The search parameters should really just be adjusted on a need to basis and only for the frames they the settings are required as opposed to finding an average setting.

[/quote]