Linux thread

I have few questions
I am trying to install mocha 2.0 on my ubuntu 10.10 x64

1. How can I reset program settings? I’ve installed it. And after the first lanch I got a message that “Looks like it is the first launch of the program bla bla bla. Would you like to configure program now?” I configured it to start in full screen mode, but when I pressed OK the UI freezed and I couldn’t press any button and menu. So I had to kill process. When I then launched it again it started full screem and all the UI elements were freeze. I need to reset full screen mode.
  2. Why developers can’t create normal package for Debian/Ubuntu distributions? It is so hard (I don’t think so)?

I have few questions

I am trying to install mocha 2.0 on my ubuntu 10.10 x64

1. How can I reset program settings? I’ve installed it. And after the first lanch I got a message that “Looks like it is the first launch of the program bla bla bla. Would you like to configure program now?” I configured it to start in full screen mode, but when I pressed OK the UI freezed and I couldn’t press any button and menu. So I had to kill process. When I then launched it again it started full screem and all the UI elements were freeze. I need to reset full screen mode.

2. Why developers can’t create normal package for Debian/Ubuntu distributions? It is so hard (I don’t think so)?

Then you are losing many customers all over the world, because there are a lot of studios and freelancers all over the world which are using Debian/Ubuntu linux as their main OS.
I think that it is not good for the serious company, and it does not give it authority, when they can’t create correctly working package for the most famous linux distributions and at the same they you already have working solution for the less known and useable distribution.
Look at the Shake, Nuke, Houdini, PFTrack, 3Dequalizer and others. They all can be set up on any most famous linux distributions. And their customers are happy. And their soft hasn’t got much more bugs then the others, even if they have many packages for different distributions (for example Houdini).
I am really :frowning:
Be more flexible, if you trying to become a serious company.

Then you are losing many customers all over the world, because there are a lot of studios and freelancers all over the world which are using Debian/Ubuntu linux as their main OS.

I think that it is not good for the serious company, and it does not give it authority, when they can’t create correctly working package for the most famous linux distributions and at the same they you already have working solution for the less known and useable distribution.

Look at the Shake, Nuke, Houdini, PFTrack, 3Dequalizer and others. They all can be set up on any most famous linux distributions. And their customers are happy. And their soft hasn’t got much more bugs then the others, even if they have many packages for different distributions (for example Houdini).

I am really :frowning:

Be more flexible, if you trying to become a serious company.

Hi ITdreamer,
No, building a deb package isn’t hard, of course we could do it if we decided to. We will do it if there is enough customer interest.
I just checked our download records, and less than 2% of our software downloads in the past month were any Linux product. You might argue that this would increase if we offered a deb package, but we are still talking about a very small portion of our user base. It is hard for me to justify devoting development effort and considerable ongoing testing effort to implementing this, when effort in other areas of the software will yield a greater benefit to a larger portion of our user base. This is a purely commercial decision.
Currently about one person per year asks for this. If we see either a groundswell of interest on the forum, or one of our major post-house customers asks us for it, we will add a deb package in the next major version.
Until this happens, you will need to use alien to install the rpm packages.
Sorry I don’t have better news for you, but this is the reality of the situation.
Best regards,
J-P

Hi ITdreamer,

No, building a deb package isn’t hard, of course we could do it if we decided to. We will do it if there is enough customer interest.

I just checked our download records, and less than 2% of our software downloads in the past month were any Linux product. You might argue that this would increase if we offered a deb package, but we are still talking about a very small portion of our user base. It is hard for me to justify devoting development effort and considerable ongoing testing effort to implementing this, when effort in other areas of the software will yield a greater benefit to a larger portion of our user base. This is a purely commercial decision.

Currently about one person per year asks for this. If we see either a groundswell of interest on the forum, or one of our major post-house customers asks us for it, we will add a deb package in the next major version.

Until this happens, you will need to use alien to install the rpm packages.

Sorry I don’t have better news for you, but this is the reality of the situation.

Best regards,

J-P

You can delete you mocha preferences here to reset the program: $HOME/.config/Imagineer Systems Ltd/mocha 2.conf
I can’t speak for the reason for our particular support of Linux versions (other than the popularity of those flavours of Linux amongst vfx studios), but I do know extra versions means more testing, which means less time to improve other areas and less frequent updates to artists.

You can delete you mocha preferences here to reset the program: $HOME/.config/Imagineer Systems Ltd/mocha 2.conf

I can’t speak for the reason for our particular support of Linux versions (other than the popularity of those flavours of Linux amongst vfx studios), but I do know extra versions means more testing, which means less time to improve other areas and less frequent updates to artists.