Long Clip question

I have a very long clip (1800 frames) where a sign goes in and out of frame four times. What’s the best way to track and export this for replacing the signage?

Right now I have four layers created for the four tracks. Can I export those as one unit, or do I have to export them individually?

Also any tips on making the four instances of corner pinning easier?

Ah I see, that makes it a little more difficult.

Could you send me a small version of the clip to analyse? It will be easier to advise: martinb[at] imagineersystems{dot}com.

Hi Sean,

If your sign goes in and out, the best way to track it would be to use the same layer.

When you track, you can stop and move the shape around however you like. The shape is not the tracking data, merely a search area to tell mocha where in the footage to look, so when your sign goes off screen, just take your search area off screen as well until the sign comes back again, then move your search area back over the sign. The key here is that the search area needs to be on the same relative plane when you move it in order to get an accurate track, but it is only linked to the track and doesn’t influence the actual movement of the tracking data.
You can get a better understanding of this relationship in this tutorial:
http://www.imagineersystems.com/products/mocha/mocha_unlink_tutorial.mov

The best way to see how this is working is to turn on your surface and grid while you are tracking. You can then see how the track is following the object correctly.

Hi Sean,
If your sign goes in and out, the best way to track it would be to use the same layer.
When you track, you can stop and move the shape around however you like. The shape is not the tracking data, merely a search area to tell mocha where in the footage to look, so when your sign goes off screen, just take your search area off screen as well until the sign comes back again, then move your search area back over the sign. The key here is that the search area needs to be on the same relative plane when you move it in order to get an accurate track, but it is only linked to the track and doesn’t influence the actual movement of the tracking data.
You can get a better understanding of this relationship in this tutorial:
http://www.imagineersystems.com/products/mocha/mocha_unlink_tutorial.mov
The best way to see how this is working is to turn on your surface and grid while you are tracking. You can then see how the track is following the object correctly.

Ah I see, that makes it a little more difficult.
Could you send me a small version of the clip to analyse? It will be easier to advise: martinb[at] imagineersystems{dot}com.

Hi Sean,
Ok, there’s good news and there’s bad news. :slight_smile:
Since you have a wall that is visually on the same plane as the sign, you can use that to help you track. Just move the search area to the wall instead of moving it off screen, or even just track the wall then fix your surface later (it will remain relative to the track no matter how you adjust it). Make sure you set perspective to be on and have at least 70-90% in the min % of pixels in your parameters.
Where it will get tricky is when it moves completely off that plane onto the other wall.
You will need to either move it off screen as I explained before then immediately bring your search area back to the wall when you can see it again, or perhaps do two tracks and apply them to two separate layers in AE.
For this shot you may also have to do a bit of adjusting afterwards. The full res shot will probably have enough detail to track the wall to completion, but if there is any slipping when you have to move from one to the other, just move to the adjust track module afterwards, set a key BEFORE the problem starts to occur, then adjust your surface object back where you need it. You need to set a key before as your adjustment will interpolate between the starting frame and your adjustment.
Do you need to just replace the sign or remove it completely?

Hi Sean,

Ok, there’s good news and there’s bad news. :slight_smile:

Since you have a wall that is visually on the same plane as the sign, you can use that to help you track. Just move the search area to the wall instead of moving it off screen, or even just track the wall then fix your surface later (it will remain relative to the track no matter how you adjust it). Make sure you set perspective to be on and have at least 70-90% in the min % of pixels in your parameters.

Where it will get tricky is when it moves completely off that plane onto the other wall.

You will need to either move it off screen as I explained before then immediately bring your search area back to the wall when you can see it again, or perhaps do two tracks and apply them to two separate layers in AE.

For this shot you may also have to do a bit of adjusting afterwards. The full res shot will probably have enough detail to track the wall to completion, but if there is any slipping when you have to move from one to the other, just move to the adjust track module afterwards, set a key BEFORE the problem starts to occur, then adjust your surface object back where you need it. You need to set a key before as your adjustment will interpolate between the starting frame and your adjustment.

Do you need to just replace the sign or remove it completely?

Hi Martin,
Thanks for the suggestions. I’m having a little trouble. The sign tracks well in the first section (frames 0-244) and when it goes off screen I pull the shape off screen and keep tracking. I leave it where it is until the screen emerges again, which is in different spot. However when I move the shape back over the sign, the surface and grid remain where the last track stopped. Moving the surface back into position pulls the grid back in as well, but screws up the first bit of tracking? And leaving it where it is, screws up the first bit of tracking as well? Is there a step I need to do that I am missing?
Sean

I have a very long clip (1800 frames) where a sign goes in and out of frame four times. What’s the best way to track and export this for replacing the signage?
Right now I have four layers created for the four tracks. Can I export those as one unit, or do I have to export them individually?
Also any tips on making the four instances of corner pinning easier?

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the suggestions. I’m having a little trouble. The sign tracks well in the first section (frames 0-244) and when it goes off screen I pull the shape off screen and keep tracking. I leave it where it is until the screen emerges again, which is in different spot. However when I move the shape back over the sign, the surface and grid remain where the last track stopped. Moving the surface back into position pulls the grid back in as well, but screws up the first bit of tracking? And leaving it where it is, screws up the first bit of tracking as well? Is there a step I need to do that I am missing?

Sean

Thanks Martin. Just sent you a small version.

Thanks Martin. Just sent you a small version.

Hi Martin,
Thanks for the solution and explanation. I will save this and try it sometime. Last night I tried a workaround with the four layers I had already successfully tracked. I’ll post it here for future reference.
I had already checked out the first one, and after adjusting the anchor points for my inset layer had the first 1 of 4 instances looking great. I duplicated the inset layer three more times and removed the first bunch of keyframes. Since I had given all my layers in mocha in and out points, (and named them by their in and out points!) it was easy to copy, jump to start frame, and paste the mocha data.
I pre-comped the four to make things a little tidier and right now it is spot on. Is there any drawback to this that might pop up?
And, per your last question, I am just replacing the real estate sign with our own artwork.
>From what I’ve seen demonstrated, I take it I would be able to use the tracks I did to roto out the sign completely? I haven’t gone down that road before, but have seen some of the stuff about wire removal and the like. In this case, should I have made sure to shoot some footage from a vantage to give me source footage of what is behind the sign for when it is removed? I should probably try one of these.
Thanks again, and hopefully this will help others down the line as well.
-Sean

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the solution and explanation. I will save this and try it sometime. Last night I tried a workaround with the four layers I had already successfully tracked. I’ll post it here for future reference.

I had already checked out the first one, and after adjusting the anchor points for my inset layer had the first 1 of 4 instances looking great. I duplicated the inset layer three more times and removed the first bunch of keyframes. Since I had given all my layers in mocha in and out points, (and named them by their in and out points!) it was easy to copy, jump to start frame, and paste the mocha data.

I pre-comped the four to make things a little tidier and right now it is spot on. Is there any drawback to this that might pop up?

And, per your last question, I am just replacing the real estate sign with our own artwork.

From what I’ve seen demonstrated, I take it I would be able to use the tracks I did to roto out the sign completely? I haven’t gone down that road before, but have seen some of the stuff about wire removal and the like. In this case, should I have made sure to shoot some footage from a vantage to give me source footage of what is behind the sign for when it is removed? I should probably try one of these.

Thanks again, and hopefully this will help others down the line as well.
-Sean