Long handheld tracking shot

Hi, brand new to the forums, very new to Mocha, and I have a doozy of shot to deal with.
its a long walk through an alley, the camera swings from the right wall to the left, never square on but at an angle. There are dumpsters and boxes with nice flat planes, there are the walls, obviously. The problem is the clip is 2:34 and nothing remains in it for more than 4 or 5 seconds.
The idea is to add moving posters and dancing graffiti as we go through the alley.
Now, what I started to do was to just cut the shot into 5 second chunks, which are easy to track, but then i have the nightmare of matching where i put the posters in one shot with where they are 15 seconds down the alley.
So here is my question: Can i track multiple planes in one shot? Sort of handing off tracking data as things go in and out of frame? Or is the small chunk version the way to go?
Thanks, sorry to start off on this note. I can send a compressed file or I can youtube/vimeo the clip and post a link. Let me know.

Thanks very much Martin. In looking again I may try to reshoot it a little steadier, and while I’m at it I’ll shoot for an easier track. But thank you for taking a look and for getting back to me so fast.

I think i will try it in the short tiny bites. then I will use a DOF filter to blur the posters/graffiti down the alley enough so their placement isn’t critical. Yes, it’s sort of a half-assed solution, but I am wide open to other ideas.

Thanks.

Hi, brand new to the forums, very new to Mocha, and I have a doozy of shot to deal with.

its a long walk through an alley, the camera swings from the right wall to the left, never square on but at an angle. There are dumpsters and boxes with nice flat planes, there are the walls, obviously. The problem is the clip is 2:34 and nothing remains in it for more than 4 or 5 seconds.

The idea is to add moving posters and dancing graffiti as we go through the alley.

Now, what I started to do was to just cut the shot into 5 second chunks, which are easy to track, but then i have the nightmare of matching where i put the posters in one shot with where they are 15 seconds down the alley.

So here is my question: Can i track multiple planes in one shot? Sort of handing off tracking data as things go in and out of frame? Or is the small chunk version the way to go?

Thanks, sorry to start off on this note. I can send a compressed file or I can youtube/vimeo the clip and post a link. Let me know.

I think i will try it in the short tiny bites. then I will use a DOF filter to blur the posters/graffiti down the alley enough so their placement isn’t critical. Yes, it’s sort of a half-assed solution, but I am wide open to other ideas.
Thanks.

D’oh! I uploaded it then forgot to post the link here.
Sorry!

As you can see it’s long and a pain. Let me know what you think.

D’oh! I uploaded it then forgot to post the link here.

Sorry!

As you can see it’s long and a pain. Let me know what you think.

Thanks very much Martin. In looking again I may try to reshoot it a little steadier, and while I’m at it I’ll shoot for an easier track. But thank you for taking a look and for getting back to me so fast.

By adding extra contours you could track large sections in one layer as long as they are coplanar.

Looking over the shot you could break down the track into different layers, tracking one area until you focus on the other wall and then creating a new layer to track the next parts.

The real issue is managiblity. This is a very long clip, so although it is very likely you could do it all in one project, your idea of splitting it into smaller chunks would probably be your best option.

As you say, the only real problem is lining up the tracks afterwards, but considering the amount of tracking work you have to get done for the shot, I would recommend splitting the clip up.

Hi hbhannigan,
I’d have to see the clip, but is the issue that the surfaces you want to track go out of frame or are they obscured by other parts of the alley?
If you can put up a clip on vimeo, that would be ideal, or you can email me a clip at martinb[at] imagineersystems(dot)com.

Hi hbhannigan,

I’d have to see the clip, but is the issue that the surfaces you want to track go out of frame or are they obscured by other parts of the alley?

If you can put up a clip on vimeo, that would be ideal, or you can email me a clip at martinb[at] imagineersystems(dot)com.

By adding extra contours you could track large sections in one layer as long as they are coplanar.
Looking over the shot you could break down the track into different layers, tracking one area until you focus on the other wall and then creating a new layer to track the next parts.
The real issue is managiblity. This is a very long clip, so although it is very likely you could do it all in one project, your idea of splitting it into smaller chunks would probably be your best option.
As you say, the only real problem is lining up the tracks afterwards, but considering the amount of tracking work you have to get done for the shot, I would recommend splitting the clip up.