Losing image quality after stabilization

I love using Mocha to stabilize my Red camera footage, but unfortunately after I output a final file from AE CS5, I’ve lost resolution. It’s gone from a beautiful crisp shot to a muddy one. I’d like to update but I can’t use these results.
Here’s the workflow: Red camera footage encoded to Cineform Raw and placed into AE. From there encoded to AVI for Mocha.
Stabilization done in Mocha, data to clipboard, tracking info placed onto the original cineform clip in AE. Then the clip is output to a Cineform final file.
Am I missing something obvious? Any suggestions to improve quality would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Thank you. I will try your suggestions.
For what it’s worth, I believe that the rotation data may have something to do with it. If I look closely at a Mocha stabilized clip running, I can see a frame by frame jitter that seems to jiggle between clarity and softness.
Problem is, I need that rotation data. But will give it a shot and report back.

I love using Mocha to stabilize my Red camera footage, but unfortunately after I output a final file from AE CS5, I’ve lost resolution. It’s gone from a beautiful crisp shot to a muddy one. I’d like to update but I can’t use these results.

Here’s the workflow: Red camera footage encoded to Cineform Raw and placed into AE. From there encoded to AVI for Mocha.

Stabilization done in Mocha, data to clipboard, tracking info placed onto the original cineform clip in AE. Then the clip is output to a Cineform final file.

Am I missing something obvious? Any suggestions to improve quality would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

—Quote (Originally by J-P)—
Are you doing a four-point stabilisation using the corner pin effect, or just using the transform data? Are you scaling the shot up to remove black borders after the stabilisation?
It sounds like you are seeing the result of bad filtering.
—End Quote—
I’m using just the transform data for stabilization. There’s no need to scale up since the frame size is 3840x2160. I’m either scaling down or picking out an area in order to output to 1920x1080.
Is there a tutorial somewhere that shows how to do a four point stabilization using corner pin only to stabilize a clip? Thanks.

—Quote (Originally by J-P)—
Are you doing a four-point stabilisation using the corner pin effect, or just using the transform data? Are you scaling the shot up to remove black borders after the stabilisation?

—End Quote—
I’m using just the transform data for stabilization. There’s no need to scale up since the frame size is 3840x2160. I’m either scaling down or picking out an area in order to output to 1920x1080.

Is there a tutorial somewhere that shows how to do a four point stabilization using corner pin only to stabilize a clip? Thanks.

Thank you. I will try your suggestions.

For what it’s worth, I believe that the rotation data may have something to do with it. If I look closely at a Mocha stabilized clip running, I can see a frame by frame jitter that seems to jiggle between clarity and softness.

Problem is, I need that rotation data. But will give it a shot and report back.

I don’t think we have a tutorial on stabilisation using corner pin.
All you need to do is tick the invert button in the tracking data export window, and choose After Effects Corner Pin [corner pin only, supports RG Warp and mochaImport]. Make sure you do not choose the version that supports motion blur as this will give inferior results for stabilisation.
Paste the effect onto your layer in the usual way and it should be stabilised.
As an experiment, to try to locate the source of the softening, try creating your comp and not including the keyframe data from mocha. Render and see if the image has still be degraded.
If the image still looks pristine, try animating the transform controls on the layer slightly (just a few pixels of translation, % scale and degrees of rotation). Try each motion component separately. Chances are that you will find whenever you add rotation or scale, your image quality reduces. Post the results of this test and maybe we can help you find a solution.

I don’t think we have a tutorial on stabilisation using corner pin.

All you need to do is tick the invert button in the tracking data export window, and choose After Effects Corner Pin [corner pin only, supports RG Warp and mochaImport]. Make sure you do not choose the version that supports motion blur as this will give inferior results for stabilisation.

Paste the effect onto your layer in the usual way and it should be stabilised.

As an experiment, to try to locate the source of the softening, try creating your comp and not including the keyframe data from mocha. Render and see if the image has still be degraded.

If the image still looks pristine, try animating the transform controls on the layer slightly (just a few pixels of translation, % scale and degrees of rotation). Try each motion component separately. Chances are that you will find whenever you add rotation or scale, your image quality reduces. Post the results of this test and maybe we can help you find a solution.