Make part of an image shatter

is it possible to shatter part of an image? I’ve got a glass bowl on a table I want to shatter, where the shards fall onto the floor… any thoughts?

also, is there a way to increase the thickness of the particle edges to match the thickness of the bowl’s edge?

How about shifting where the center of the shatter is in the image?

thank you

To shatter part of an image you would need to mask out that part of the image - i.e. isolate it with an alpha channel on a layer and apply the shatter to that masked image. Having shards land on a visible floor is not possible in the Continuum shatter filters. You might need to go to a 3D app for that.

The thickness of the edges in the 3D Extruded Image Shatter effect is controlled by the Particles->Extrusion parameter. But note that if you apply to an alpha image that the edges are sometimes transparent which may not be what you want.

In the non-extruded version you can control the center of the shatter with the Move->Center of Velocity control.

Hi;

using a mask would limit how far the effect across the screen would go and the non-extruded shatter wouldn’t create a very believable effect of a bowl shattering. I wound up using the shatter effect in side after effects, which includes 3D extrusion and the ability to move the center of the shatter… thank you anyway

I meant using the mask “upstream” of the shatter effect - for example masking the bowl in a precomp and then applying the shatter to that precomp. That would not limit the extent of the effect.

I tried that with the extrusion 3D effect, masked the bowl, then pre-comped it with a transparent background, but, then the center of the explosion is in the center of the transparency instead of on the bowl

Jason:

I'm a member of several Editing groups (SF Cutters is one you probably know about).  I'm just wondering if posting some of the trainings on our Facebook page would be useful.  Could this be helpful?

Meagan Margaret Thomas

Trainer and Educator

Avid Certified Instructor

Adobe Premiere Pro Certified Expert

Final Cut Pro Certified Professional

meaganmargaret2014

December 19

Jason:

I'm a member of several Editing groups (SF Cutters is one you probably know about). I'm just wondering if posting some of the trainings on our Facebook page would be useful. Could this be helpful?

Meagan Margaret Thomas

Trainer and Educator
Avid Certified Instructor
Adobe Premiere Pro Certified Expert
Final Cut Pro Certified Professional

Visit Topic
or reply to this email to respond.

Hi Meagan,

I love that idea - perhaps we can have a conversation about it with direct involvement from our marketing dept as they pretty much rule what we do with any content. Would it be okay if I were to initiate the conversation via email with you?

Thanks,
Peter.

that would be great!