Manual Track tutorial

The one tutorial video that covers manual tracking has some problems. First, it’s just too short giving just one super easy scene to track. Secondly, the instructor says she makes a mistake and will have to redo part of it.
So I’m really confused at what exactly I’m supposed to do or not do.
Could you possibly do another manual track tutorial?

No problem! :slight_smile: I’ll try to address all of your questions:
Your tips are really helpful. In the video, I didn’t understand the part where you said you should have manually tracked before feature tracking.
So, what I was trying to illustrate in the video with the mistake was that there is a way to go back and delete your tracked keyframes and that I should have aligned my surface before I switched to manual track, so that I don’t mess up my automatic track by having the surface drive my track on those keyframes. You want to align your surface to recognizable points before you switch to manual track.
Other than obvious occlusions, I usually don’t know if I need to manually track until the tracking shape goes wonky.
Manual track is not the best for when your track goes wonky, it’s best for occlusions. You can use adjust track to fix a wonky track, or find a better and related surface to track. If you must use manual track to correct a wonky track, delete the badly tracked frames in the timeline before you try to adjust. I’d recommend moving your spline around for better tracking data as you track, and re-tracking those parts, rather than trying to adjust with manual track. Though without seeing the shot, its very hard to tell you what to fix.
I’m also visually confused by the UI because when I turn on manual tracking, every frame has a keyframe (even sections that have been auto tracked). I’d appreciate any further advice.
OK, so the keyframes you are seeing are the actual auto-track keyframes, all of them, on every frame, not the spline or surface keyframes anymore (but only when you’re in manual track mode because you are now adjusting the track by hand). You want to delete the bad keyframes with the keyframe+/- tools on the bottom right of the viewport before you try to adjust your track manually. When you switch back to auto-track (large motion) you should not have a tracking keyframe on every frame anymore and should just see the spline keyframes. The surface will no longer drive anything about the track when you switch back to large motion.
Does that make more sense?
Cheers,
Mary

Hi,
I can try to redo the manual track tutorial if enough users find it confusing, but the reason it is short is because it is a short concept. All you need to do is switch to manual track and use the surface to drive the track from one point of occlusion until the occlusion is gone:

1. You only really use manual track when the surface is being occluded.
  2. While in large motion track, align your surface to recognizable points.
  3. Go to the last good frame of data before your object gets occluded and make a keyframe.
  4. When you get to the area where your tracked surface starts to get occluded, switch to manual track and make a keyframe and make sure your surface is where you’d like it to be. Manual tracking is the ONLY time the surface will ever drive the track.
  5. Go to the point in the timeline where you can see your surface again and manually align your surface.
  6. Your surface and track will now animate between those two manual tracking points.
  7. Go to your next frame and resume large motion tracking.
    Cheers,
    Mary

Thanks for the quick reply.
Your tips are really helpful. In the video, I didn’t understand the part where you said you should have manually tracked before feature tracking.
Other than obvious occlusions, I usually don’t know if I need to manually track until the tracking shape goes wonky.
I’m also visually confused by the UI because when I turn on manual tracking, every frame has a keyframe (even sections that have been auto tracked). I’d appreciate any further advice.