Martial Arts Roto - How to do it!

Hello,
i have Very similar footage and have had a horrible time trying to track it. i’m sure i still don’t fully understand as i am used to the “old way”. but right now the old way is looking really nice-as i have spent so much time with little to no results. i am also experiencing frequent crashes and i have a brand new Mac 8 core 9gig Ram, Quadro FX 4500 graphics card. perhaps my new system is crashing i can’t tell that-but do know that my hands are wringing with not knowing how to proceed.

thanks for any help-too,
Jeff Petersen

—Quote (Originally by Markus)—
Hi,

I’m testing Motor in the moment with a really tough scene. A guy is doing kicks and punches with turns. So, wow, there is everything in there to have a lot work. The Motor video on organic shapes is fairly easy compared to my footage, so I don’t know, if the technique used in this video is appropriate for my task.

It’s the first time, that I’m doing a complex roto like that.
Has anyone a good suggestion on how to start. I already did the torso and the head and I had to set awful lot of keys. Especially the torso was nearly frame by frame work.

I’m using masks for the head, torso, upper arm, forearm, leg. 8 masks at all!

Thanks for any help.

Regards,
Markus.
—End Quote—

Markus, first prize would be to have a look at the source you are working on and even your project files.

Provided it is not confidential and you are willing… please upload to.

FTP account:
server: ftp.imagineersystems.com
username: imgforum
password: imgforum

direct link: ftp://imgforum:imgforum@ftp.imagineersystems.com/

Bare in mind this ftp account is not private!

Hi,

I’m testing Motor in the moment with a really tough scene. A guy is doing kicks and punches with turns. So, wow, there is everything in there to have a lot work. The Motor video on organic shapes is fairly easy compared to my footage, so I don’t know, if the technique used in this video is appropriate for my task.

It’s the first time, that I’m doing a complex roto like that.
Has anyone a good suggestion on how to start. I already did the torso and the head and I had to set awful lot of keys. Especially the torso was nearly frame by frame work.

I’m using masks for the head, torso, upper arm, forearm, leg. 8 masks at all!

Thanks for any help.

Regards,
Markus.