Mediaioserver icon appearing in dock on launch

Hi there,

I realise this is a very superficial problem as it doesn’t affect the performance of AE or Mocha VR in any way, but I wondered if there is any way to not have the mediaioserver icon appear in the dock while I’m using the software? It doesn’t happen on my iMac, but does on my MacBook Pro (both running High Sierra).

Many thanks.

Do you happen to be using any third party codecs, such as “Blackmagic Codec.component”?

I don’t have the Blackmagic codec installed, but would Quicktime components fit the bill, or is that purely for playback? I have quite a few third party QT components installed.

Apologies if I’ve misunderstood the question. Essentially Prores is my edit codec of choice so I only really use the ProApps codecs in my day-to-day work.

Thanks,

Matt

Essentially we’ve seen this problem manifest when mediaioserver (which handles clip input/output) doesn’t like a particular codec in the QuickTime folder. You could possibly find the culprit by just taking out the third party ones and reintroducing them one by one, but it SHOULD be fairly harmless to allow mediaioserver to sit there if you don’t want to go through this.

The only reason I say the Blackmagic codec in particular as it’s come up before as conflicting.

Great, thanks for that, will give it a try. Should be able to pretty quickly identify the problem codec by referencing between my two machines (one has mediaioserver dock issue, one doesn’t). Will report back when I found out.

Thanks again,

Matt

Well, you were totally right. One of my machines had the Blackmagic codec installed and had the mediaioserver icon appearing in the dock, the other machine not, and didn’t. So problem solved and my clean dock OCD can rest easy again :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot for the steer.