Mixed color spaces

Couldn’t see any previous discussion of this.

When working on a comp sometimes we get assets that originate from different color spaces. For example some log footage and a Rec 709 graphic.

While Silhouette has great color space management for the viewer, there don’t seem to be any nodes for color space transforms in the project. Or even more basic just applying a technical LUT to achieve the same. Everything has to be normalized outside of Si before loading.

Any reason why there isn’t even a basic LUT node? Or does it exist and I’m just overlooking it?

Thx,
Jan

Hi Jan, we have plans to add an OCIO node in the next major feature release and/or a source colorspace parameter to convert color spaces.

1 Like

Fantastic.

Last night I had to paint out writing on the side of a moving truck and replace with the client’s logo.

The actual footage had been SLog3, converted to Linear by Media Composer when exporting EXR pulls for Si. But the client emailed me their logo as an sRGB PNG.

To do the comp in Si, I had to use Scratch to convert the PNG first to SLog3, then to Linear, before making it an EXR for Si.

Once I did that I was able to do the comp in Si and end up with a unified loggy image to grade.

But yeah, being able to handle these color space conversion hoops within Si will be fantastic.

It’d also be nice to use a display LUT on top of Si’s internal viewer transforms.

Right now it’s either / or.

In my case last night, I’d been comping on a loggy image which had been transformed to linear by Avid.

When it arrived in Si, I converted linear to sRGB in the viewer. That allowed me to see the image as I saw it without color adapters in MC…loggy. But I would have liked to additionally placed Sony’s Slog3-Rec709 onto that image in order that my client preview renders in Frame.io looked “normal” to the client.

We’ll see what we can do about allowing a LUT to be applied at the same time as the normal OCIO controls.

1 Like

That won’t be enough, since it would still affect everything at once.
A proper source colorspace setting on the source would achieve this, or a general purpose OCIO node with all the same settings as the viewer.

1 Like

I like the idea of an OCIO node with settings similar to the viewer. That way color space translations can be accomplished in the tree when mixed sources are being worked with. It would seem within the paradigm of Si and not a hack.

Of course just a basic 3D LUT node would be a good thing to have on hand regardless because it can be a Swiss Army Knife.

Jan

1 Like