Mocha AE Will Not Start After Fresh Install

If it specifically crashes, can you get us the crash dumps? Here’s how to do that:

1. Start a Command Prompt as Administrator
  2. Run: reg add “HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps”
  3. Run Mocha AE from After Effects
  4. After it crashes (or does nothing!), there should be a crash dump file in %LOCALAPPDATA%\CrashDumps.
  5. Send us the crash dump file.

If you don’t get a crash dump via the plugin, try running the Mocha AE process file directly. It won’t run externally and will show an error dialog if it runs, but you may get a crash dump that way. You can run the process from this path:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects 2022\Support Files\Plug-ins\Effects\mochaAE\MochaAE.bundle\Contents\Win64\mochaui\bin\mocha4ae_adobe.exe

To Disable crash dumps again (recommended):

1. Start a Command Prompt as Administrator
  2. Run reg delete “HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps”

How do I send them ? It won’t let me attach them here.

You can email them to me directly: martinb [at] borisfx.com

The launch problem appears to be with a driver issue in Intel OpenCL devices. We’ve found an interim solution for users experiencing this launching problem on Windows.
This workaround involves stopping Mocha from enumerating the OpenCL devices, which will stop the intel device from being read.

We recommend backing up the registry before moving forward.
In the Windows registry, try changing the REG_DWORD values from 0 to 1 for each platform listed below:

1. HKLM\SOFTWARE\Khronos\OpenCL\Vendors
  2. HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Khronos\OpenCL\Vendors

You can change this value back if there is a problem with other software, but this has been confirmed to work for some users.

If you’re unfamiliar with changing keys in the registry, we can provide more detailed instructions.