Mocha "apply to title/key" within AVID Media Composer

I have a matte key filled with BCC Grunge (moving) effect that I need tracked to background video. I used Mocha Pro for the track. I checked the “apply to title/key” and nothing appears but the background video. What am I doing wrong? Is there a manual I can download from BorisFX? Also, can i use the Avid title tool with Mocha or do I need to import from the outside?

You should find a help option in the top of the plugin, that will take you to documentation. I’d have to see your settings to begin to advise you on where the matte application is going wrong, make sure you are using masking in the pixel chooser, what happens when you use the “view matte” option?

No help option found in the Avid Effect Editor box. However, I did find help on your website…

However, the help guide skips over "the “Apply to Title/Key” check box section. Go figure. Back to Avid now: I am using Mocha Pro 2019 so there is no pixel chooser option. Now if I drag the plug-in directly on top of the logo (png - matte key), the key turns black and background white(obviously seems like the alpha channel). When I check the “Apply Title/Key” box it now becomes a box (size of the logo) that is filled with the logo’s single color. Undo…ctrl Z. Alt-Draggin the plug-in on top of the logo doesn’t work either. Stepping into Mocha and choosing the input layer shows the logo merged with V1. See photo below of the woman’s face. This is where the key should be.

Once I master this Mocha key I want to fill the logo with multiple BCC 2019 effects. Please advise.

Generally Avid as a host has a lot of issues with passing graphics with alpha. If you using Mocha to insert motion graphics, in general you will be more successful inserting the graphic into the Mocha plug-in via the file>clip insert vs through the Avid stack.

Since you have Continuum, another option is to use the new Continuum 2019 parameter tracking feature that accesses Mocha. In the BCC Corner Pin effect you can launch Mocha and I believe you will be able to use the “apply/title key” option more successfully.

I hope this helps and makes sense. While Mocha Pro for AVX/Avid has lots of great features, we still run into the limitations of Media Composer compositing. The Mocha Plug-in can import any graphic with alpha, but the issue is faking Media Composer to pass the stack to Mocha. I believe for tracking text, you’ll have more success using the Mocha that is built into Continuum 2019… and use Mocha pro more for stabilization, object removal or comping screen inserts w/out effects.

Cheers,
Ross

Steve, to amplify the earlier comments, you might be better off using the Mocha tracking that is built directly into the Continuum PixelChooser, rather than trying to use the separate Mocha Pro plugin for the tracking. For example to apply BCC Grunge to just a tracked sub-region, just apply BCC Grunge, open the PixelChooser parameter group and click the Launch Mocha button. You’ll see the same tracking controls as mocha Pro (although for the PixelChooser version you won’t see the additional Mocha Pro modules like Remove/Insert/Stabilize, but those aren’t what you’re looking in this case anyway). Just track the region where you want to isolate the Grunge and apply back to Avid and you should see the Grunge limited to the tracked area. Does that give you what you’re looking for?

OK. I see where you’re going with this. I just have to use Mocha with the BCC effect itself. So…help me with this. I import a key logo and want it tracked to the video below. What BCC effect do I use to do this? I plan on adding a light sweep and glint to the tracked logo key.

Thanks

Hi Steve,

You can use the BCC Match Move filter to track the logo into the background shot. Then you can stack the BCC Glint and Light Sweep filters on top of the tracked logo to generate the look that you have in mind.

Cheers,

Peter.

Wonderful… I got the MatchMove logo to follow the Mocha track.

I next stacked the light sweep onto V3.

Selected “Background: 2nd below”(video track 1)

Selected “Apply to Title-Matte” which then make the logo semi-transparent. Even the light sweep became dimmer

I must of missed something.

I know these are probably easy effects to layer, but I’ve been using Boris Red for about 20 years now (since version 3.5 which I still have the disc for) so adjusting to BCC and AVID stacking is a slight learning curve that I am anxiously trying to concur!

Thanks!

A couple additional considerations. My comments above about using the PixelChooser were for limiting an effect to a tracked region, not related to having one layer follow another. If you want to have a layer follow the motion of another layer, then you would use the Motion Tracker group inside Match Move, not the PixelChooser. The Motion Tracker still relies on Mocha but it is intended for having one geometry follow another rather than the PixelChooser which is designed for Masking. If you’re applying to an avid matte (with its own alpha channel) then you’ll need to ensure that the alpha channel of that logo is preserved. Continuum can do this for you behind the scenes as long as you follow a few steps and use only Continuum and Sapphire filters in the stack. Note that due to a problem with passing alpha between separate tracks, the workflow below has one awkward step where we need to copy tracking data from one copy of Match Move into a second copy but it gets the job done. We should have a workaround in place for this extra step in a future point release, and this extra step is only needed if you want to preserve alpha between layers. If you want to match move a solid clip then you can use a simpler workflow.

First put your background clip on V1 and apply a copy of Match Move to it. Don’t worry about the foreground yet. We’re just tracking at this point. Open the Motion Tracker / Mocha group and launch the Mocha UI. You will see a round search region and a small cross hair. Move those BOTH to the area you want to track and then track as you usually would in mocha. Now before closing the Mocha UI choose File → Export Project to save that mocha track data directly to disk. Then close the mocha UI - being sure to Save it so you can come back to edit the track later if needed. The last step on V1 is to turn on the Bypass checkbox at the top of the effect. This copy of the Match Move is used just to generate the tracking data, so we turn on bypass so it doesn’t affect the final render.

Now put your Avid logo on V2. Apply a second copy of Match Move on V2. Turn on the Apply to Title Matte option. Set the Match Move → MM Foreground option to Filter Layer (which means the logo itself is the one that will move around). Set the Match Move → Render option to Move Only (which means we can pass the logo on to other filters in the stack if we want to). At this point you should see your logo over the background but you wont’ yet see the result of the tracking. Now in this new copy of Match Move, again launch the Mocha UI. This time choose the File → Merge Project menu and pull in the saved mocha project you exported from V1. Exit Mocha and save. You should now see your tracking data applied to the logo. You can use the Transforms controls and the Motion Tracker Offset controls to fine tune the scale/position as needed.

So now you have your tracked logo with alpha intact. In order to pass alpha along intact to secondary filters like Light Sweep / Glint / Grunge be sure to set the Background menu at the top of Match Move to None. This tells it to skip the composite over the background for now. Then Alt Drag the next effect so it is stacked on the the logo’s copy of Match Move and it should automatically respect the alpha coming in from the previous effect. Note you should NOT enable Apply to Title Matte again in this second copy. That’s only needed when reading in the initial logo from Avid into the first effect in the stack. If you want to stack yet another filter onto this one, then set the Background menu to None again so the composite gets delayed and the alpha is passed on to the next filter.

Jason,

Thank you so much for the detailed steps. I’ve been playing for the last couple of hours memorizing the BCC process and looking forward to playing some more tomorrow. Happy Holidays!