Mocha crashes and also Avid

Hi,
as an exercise I tried to remove two objects as discribed in the turorial „Mocha Pro: Solving complex Object Removals“. Exporting and importing of the rendered foreground shape worked fine. Creating and tracking the background layer (5 shapes) also worked fine. Then I switched to “Remove” and tried to render one frame. After about 10 seconds Mocha disappeared and also Avid. The percentage in the right upper corner stood at 1% and then to 100% and Exit. What is going wrong?

Media Composer 2018.1 and 2, Mocha Pro 5.60

Best regards
Klaus-Dieter

Hi Klaus,

Can you try opening Mocha preferences and disabling the use of the GPU, restarting Avid, and trying again? It may be that you are encountering a GPU rendering issue. Without more details, that is my best guess.

Cheers,
Mary

Hi Mary,
that did not solve the problem. Which information do you need. I will try to collect that tomorrow.
Best regards
Klaus-Dieter

Hi Klaus,

What is the codec you are trying to do the remove on?
How long is the footage you’re trying to remove?
What are your settings in the remove module set to?
Are you using perspective to track? How does your BG track look if you turn on the surface tool, can you see the surface tool the whole time? What about on the FG shape?
Are there any other effects on the track you are creating the remove on?
Can you drop a whole screen screenshot into the forum so I can see what is going on?

The office is closed for the weekend tomorrow, but I will get back to you on Monday.

Cheers,
Mary

Hi Mary,
here are my answers:

Windows 10 Prof, latest pachtes, 32 GB ram, MC 2018,2, Project: 1080i/50
Codec: Linked to DNxHR SQ (3840x2160)
How long is the footage you’re trying to remove: 5 sec 16 frames
What are your settings in the remove module set to? standard
Are you using perspective to track? No, only Translation, Scale, Rotation and Shear
How does your BG track look if you turn on the surface tool, can you see the surface tool the whole time? yes
What about on the FG shape? Can be seen during the whole time. Two masks attatched
Are there any other effects on the track? No
Can you drop a whole screen screenshot into the forum so I can see what is going on? Yes

Best regards
Klaus-Dieter

Foreground.pdf (312.7 KB)
Background Surface.pdf (302.1 KB)

Hi Klaus,

Can you try a very simple remove test of one BG shape and one FG shape and see if that works for you? Don’t import mattes, just try shapes in mocha. I want to narrow down the problem.

Cheers,
Mary

Hi Mary,
I have done that already. This works fine. I took the same footage and removed only one person. The problem started when I tried ( as an exercise) to remove more than one object, as described in the drone removal.

Has this problem something to do with my other problem (see in the forum)?

Viele Grüße
Klaus-Dieter

Hi Klaus,

I am not sure, this should work, and I don’t see anything wrong with your file from screenshots. If you start from scratch and try to re-import your mattes does it do the same thing? It could just be there’s something wrong with that file. If it is repeatable it may be a bug.

Cheers,
Mary

Hi Mary,
i started from the scatch, prepared new mattes and it worked fine !?! I also switched to 25p instead of 50i. I was told in my other thread that Mocha Pro does not support interlaced footage interpretation in the Avid plugin. Additionally I found issue “MO-8734” in the release notes.
Cheers,
Klaus-Dieter

Perfect, yes, it sounds like interlacing was the problem.