Mocha for CS5 Wont import .mov or .avi files

convert mov or avi files to a mp4 to check if the issue solved.
avi to mp4 (http://www.ilikemall.com/how-to/convert-avi-to-mp4-mac.html)

Mary - Thanks for the reply. Can you suggest a few file formats to transcode to, via Adobe Media Encoder, that will work with mocha AE?

I have problems getting mocha to work with .mov files on my Mac. Sometimes a file will load, sometimes it won’t. Sometimes it won’t allow me to adjust the range of frames, with only a range of from zero to zero being available. Having to render multiple file formats just to work in mocha is frustrating and very time consuming.

—Quote (Originally by madbrit)—
I have upgraded to After Effects CS5 from CS4, Mocha works great in CS4 but wont import .MOV files or any movie file for that matter in CS5, keeps saying that it cant import. I noticed on the list of allowed imports that .mov .avi and all video files have been removed?? whats the problem here. I have upgraded my Quicktime program.

Windows 7
8 GIG Ram
Nvidia 9600 GT
AMD 64 x2 CPU

Thanks
GPW
—End Quote—

convert mov or avi files to a mp4 to check if the issue solved.
avi to mp4 (http://www.ilikemall.com/how-to/convert-avi-to-mp4-mac.html)

I have upgraded toAfter Effects CS5 from CS4, Mocha works great in CS4 but wont import .MOV files or any movie file for that matter, keeps saying that it cant import. I noticed on the list of allowed imports that .mov .avi and all video files have been removed?? whats the problem here. I have upgraded my Quicktime program.
Windows 7
8 GIG Ram
Nvidia 9600 GT
AMD 64 x2 CPU
Thanks
GPW

I have upgraded toAfter Effects CS5 from CS4, Mocha works great in CS4 but wont import .MOV files or any movie file for that matter, keeps saying that it cant import. I noticed on the list of allowed imports that .mov .avi and all video files have been removed?? whats the problem here. I have upgraded my Quicktime program.

Windows 7
8 GIG Ram
Nvidia 9600 GT
AMD 64 x2 CPU

Thanks
GPW

That sounds like a codec issue. There are certain types of codecs and file types that mocha can’t read, usually native, unprocessed codecs off of cameras. It may be that you need to convert the file to something mocha would have an easier time of reading, like a h.264 or uncompressed quicktime. If your screen is black or white for clips but not for images, it is most likely the codec for the movie files.

As a basic rule, mocha usually can’t read anything quicktime can’t. So, if you’re ever unsure if mocha can read your files, you can test it again that way in the future. Rarely, though, quicktime is able to open files that mocha can’t. It’s just a good way to test the files before you load them into mocha.

But it sounds like your codecs are, for some reason, not registering with mocha at all. If you have to use “all files” to load in a file, mocha probably won’t read it.

While your clip files may be listed on our list of supported files (as an .MP4), it might be that there’s some sort of custom camera codec or a timecode issue on your footage that is hanging mocha up. The reality of the situation is while we support many file types, we don’t necessarily support all of their compression codecs.

Any other quicktime format should work really, or another type of .avi, even h264 seems to work. So can you try changing the format of your movie to something like a standard quicktime?

That sounds like a codec issue. There are certain types of codecs and file types that mocha can’t read, usually native, unprocessed codecs off of cameras. It may be that you need to convert the file to something mocha would have an easier time of reading, like a h.264 or uncompressed quicktime. If your screen is black or white for clips but not for images, it is most likely the codec for the movie files.
As a basic rule, mocha usually can’t read anything quicktime can’t. So, if you’re ever unsure if mocha can read your files, you can test it again that way in the future. Rarely, though, quicktime is able to open files that mocha can’t. It’s just a good way to test the files before you load them into mocha.
But it sounds like your codecs are, for some reason, not registering with mocha at all. If you have to use “all files” to load in a file, mocha probably won’t read it.
While your clip files may be listed on our list of supported files (as an .MP4), it might be that there’s some sort of custom camera codec or a timecode issue on your footage that is hanging mocha up. The reality of the situation is while we support many file types, we don’t necessarily support all of their compression codecs.
Any other quicktime format should work really, or another type of .avi, even h264 seems to work. So can you try changing the format of your movie to something like a standard quicktime?

Hi David,

It’s always going to depend on the codec. Not all .mov files are created equally. Especially movies right off digital cameras, which seem to be a main culprit in these cases.

We are looking into expanding the formats we can process though. In the meantime, mocha’s pipeline assumes a visual effects workflow, which tends to use standard TIF, EXR, or DPX formats, and editing pipelines with unformatted, standard prores, or 4.264 quicktime movies.

Cheers,
Mary

JPEG, TIFF, and unformatted quicktimes will almost always work.

You might convert mov to a more common format like mp4
As for the solution, I suggest try Handbrake or AppGeeker.
How to convert MOV to MP4 (http://www.ilikemall.com/how-to/convert-mp4-to-mov-mac.html)
They should get you through what you have, and basically converts anything to anything so you shouldn’t have any problem finding something that works.

I use iDealshare VideoGo to convert any unsupported formats like mov, avi, avchd, mts, mxf etc to mocha for cs5 more supported mp4 or other video format.
Here is the step by step guide: https://www.idealshare.net/video-converter/mov-to-mp4.html