Mocha Photoshopped CleanPlate = Silhouette Paint. Sorta?

I can basically create a cleanplante. Paint it in Photoshop and use in Mocha to interpolate. It’s basically like autopaint Silhouette right?
How comparable are those 2 methods?

They’re not comparable. They work differently. Silhouette Autopaint moves a clone tool with a track, which can have a frame offset, etc, and control the paint dynamically over the shot, the Remove module and a photoshopped cleanplate takes the pixels from your cleanplate and interpolates them over time, pixel by pixel, by comparing the pixels to the surrounding area and moving along with the track, or it fills in detail from the background area based on the track, often with color matching if you pick those options.

They’re just different ways to remove objects. Autopaint can be better for areas that need patching, the Remove module can be better for taking objects out of a scene that you can see behind.

Mary I know they work differently. haha it’s obvious. I’m just asking whether or not you can reach the same results with Mocha + Photoshop when you need to patch something out. You’ve clearly shown in your tuts with a mic and some other thing that it can be done in Mocha as well.

Oh, ok, I thought you were comparing them. Yes, depending on the shot you can get very similar results but not exactly the same results. As I had mentioned in my reply, best practices are really going to depend on the shot. Especially for occlusions, paint is a better choice than Remove. For complex color changes on subtle lighting shifts, the Remove is a better choice. Etc.

Where paint/clone can really come in to play is when you need to remove an object that is in front of an organic object where every the exact pixel match can not be found in other frames. For example, a wire passing in front of a person’s face who is also moving/turning will be quite difficult in Mocha and you would need a lot of clean plates.

Silhouette’s workflow is designed to give more options to the artist to combine tracking, manual paint and auto-paint + options for warping the clone source, etc. The ability to have multiple clones sessions and combine in one comp is also significant.

The way I look at it is both applications do object removal but Mocha Pro is more of an auto-tool designed for speed. Depending on the shot, Mocha and a few clean plates will be a much faster workflow, but the artist needs to pay attention to grain and lighting in a way that is more inherent in the Silhouette workflow. Hope this helps.

That’s what you guys say in Mocha tuts. If pixels can’t be found in nearby frames you should create a cleanplate and paint it in Photoshop and use it back in Mocha. It’s not a hard idea to grasp. :smiley:
Now you’ve mentioned organic objects turning and etc It gives me an idea where the limits of Mocha are. Any other examples? Generally speaking when it comes to occlusions like Mary said above?

Removes have a hard time removing over data that isn’t strictly planar at the moment. So if you have a lot of fractal motion behind the object, turbulent water, moving people and objects, and high contrast, your remove will suffer and paint in Silhouette might be a better choice.

1 Like