Mocha Pro PowerMesh Face Tracking Query

Hi there,

I have a couple of questions about the Mocha Pro PowerMesh tool and wondered if anyone might have the answers.

Say you were creating a piece of long-form footage with loads of clips (e.g. a Great British Bake-off episode). Do you happen to know roughly how long it would take an editor to apply different masks to each face in the clip, and whether there’s a way for the software to track the same face across multiple clips?

I was also wondering if there’s any long-form case studies where this has been used throughout the content (e.g. films/tv shows), that’s not just for one specific 30 second scene?

Essentially I’m trying to get a sense of how easy and time-consuming this would be to apply in post production throughout the footage that’s been shot. Any help would be much appreciated - thank you so much for your time and I look forward to hearing from you!

That much face replacement in footage not shot for face replacement is going to be extremely time consuming. A 30 second scene would take you about a day to up to three days probably. Multiply that by how many scenes you have.

Long form anything is going to fall apart over time because people don’t move inorganically.

You might get faster results with something like machine learning deep fakes. But it would also take a lot of time to set up.

1 Like

That is a very specific example. I like it! :slight_smile:

Mary hit it on the head: The short answer is a very long documentary-style series is very time consuming to face edit.

In the Bakeoff example, there are up to 16 people on screen at any one time (including hosts and judges). There are a lot of cross-overs of people rushing past one another. They are constantly wiping their faces with their hands or forearms, and there are a lot of foreground objects due to the camera angles used to film the food details. Not to mention of course people putting things INTO their faces in a food show.

That’s not to say it can’t be done, you’d just need to put in a lot of hours. Even with an automated approach, there’s a lot of manual work here to achieve quality results.

1 Like

Thank you Mary, that’s really helpful! I was interested in what you mean by ‘shot for face replacement’, so that’s helped steer my research.

Thanks for breaking all of that down for me Martin, that’s all really helpful! I wonder do you happen to have any suggestions of other softwares that may be able to achieve something in post as was described? Your insight is much appreciated!

Are you specifically trying to insert or replace things on each individual face, or just add color correction or blurring?

Shot for face replacement means that you don’t have a lot of perspective turns or occlusions and lighting shifts on the face, which can make face replacement a lot easier to do. It is ALSO why a lot of face replacements looks kindof stiff.

Brilliant! Thank you so much for your help Mary

Hi Martin, I’m looking to insert masks/filters onto each persons face - similar to a snapchat/instagram face filter.