Mocha Pro Vs Mokey

I see that the Matte option is gone.
A little disappointing. Although, I really only ever successfully used it a handful of times. I did use it to easily make a mask for Brad Pitt on his motorcycle in Ben Button :slight_smile:
ANyhow… everytime I used it successfully, I usually had to paint myself a clean BG in some other app, then go into Mokey with that.
I’m not sure if I’ve every successfully used Mokey to actually create a clean BG. I guess what I’m saying is, I’m not sure if the CleanBG tool is more important the Matte tool.
Sure it was just a diff key, but I have a bunch of diff keyers and none of them really work all that much better. Having another option to try was nice.
T

—Quote (Originally by tctdvm)—
Seems like the hidden and locked layers still interfere with selecting active/visible layers.
—End Quote—
Someone has been working on that this week actually. Should be fixed in the next maintenance release.
—Quote (Originally by tctdvm)—
I can’t shift click on points to select them one at a time. I can’t copy/paste key frames.
—End Quote—
It’s ctrl not shift to multi-select.
J-P

For the matte module in general this was our consensus as well. Compositors already have their matte tools and ours was a slightly different way of doing it. Like all features, if there is enough demand we will add it back in, but for now we didn’t see the need for it going forward.
As you know, there is never a “magic” tool that will solve any plate. The removal tool has to use the information it’s got, like any other visual effects tool. For a large amount of production shots the remove module is going to be an assistance tool to getting your clean plates done quicker. In fact, this is one of the most common reasons studios buy mocha Pro; to facilitate the use of cleaning up plates. For complicated shots you will have to do multiple passes to get a remove, as normally there is more than one thing happening across any one plane of information.

With the clean BG tool you can create a difference matte the same way Mokey made mattes in any compositor, which you probably already know. It’s just a few more steps.
But as Martin says, if more and more ask for something like that we put it on our list of features we’re thinking about adding in.
Cheers,
Mary

still not getting email notifications… hmm
anyhow, yeah. My biggest concern will never be whether or not a tool will do everything, but if it will leave me an “in” to manipulate the result further. With the Matte feature, I was occasionally able to build a solid color bg that matched what was left behind and then key that out.
Admittedly, there usually wasn’t much room for manipulation after the Matte was rendered.
But yeah, my wish list is much less feature intesive. Seems like the hidden and locked layers still interfere with selecting active/visible layers. I can’t shift click on points to select them one at a time. I can’t copy/paste key frames.
:slight_smile:
T

—Quote (Originally by J-P)—
It’s ctrl not shift to multi-select.
J-P
—End Quote—
Yeah, it might be, but unfortunately on a Mac, ctrl brings up the right mouse button menu.
T

Ok, cmd works, but what I meant to say orginially was Shift + drag so you can drag select a bunch on one side and then add a bunch more points by drag + shift on the other.
T