Mocha Shape to After Effects Mask

Hi I also posted this on the creativ cow forum, 'cause I thought that THAT over there would be the “official” mocha forum…(I like creative cow;-)
Anyway, I (would) LOVE this command “paste mocha mask” if it would be working correctly for me.
Problem:
I track a shape in mocha pro 2.5, works fine. Then I roto the head of a person and apply it to the track, works fine in Mocha. Then I export the shape data from mocha, copy to clipboard, and use the command in AFX cs5 “paste mocha mask” from the edit menu.
I do this since I’m more familiar with the AFX masks and I have more interactive controls over the mask feather than with the mocha shape plugin masks that you just copy right onto the layer.
Problem:
the roto shape looks & tracks perfect in mocha, but after using the “paste mocha mask”, the mask looks squeezed vertically. Its moving perfect and on the correct frame and everything. But I can’t use it since its squeezed. And after some seconds, the mask gets totally screwed up in AE. Please look at the pictures attached.
But when I paste the shape data onto the layer directly (like I used to when I only owned the mocha shape plugin that came with my AFCS5, it looks great in AE). Could that cause the problem, that I still have the bundled AECS5 Mocha version installed?
The comp size and projects sizes of the mocha project and AFX project are the same (frame rate, fields PAR etc). I have no idea whats going on. This feature is so great, but its not working for me…:frowning:
Tried restarting both apps, disabled Hardware acceleration in the mocha preferences, and also tried using openGL and NO openGL in AFX. Nothing works.
Please help,
Martin

Hi I also posted this on the creativ cow forum, 'cause I thought that THAT over there would be the “official” mocha forum…(I like creative cow;-)

Anyway, I (would) LOVE this command “paste mocha mask” if it would be working correctly for me.

Problem:

I track a shape in mocha pro 2.5, works fine. Then I roto the head of a person and apply it to the track, works fine in Mocha. Then I export the shape data from mocha, copy to clipboard, and use the command in AFX cs5 “paste mocha mask” from the edit menu.
I do this since I’m more familiar with the AFX masks and I have more interactive controls over the mask feather than with the mocha shape plugin masks that you just copy right onto the layer.

Problem:
the roto shape looks & tracks perfect in mocha, but after using the “paste mocha mask”, the mask looks squeezed vertically. Its moving perfect and on the correct frame and everything. But I can’t use it since its squeezed. And after some seconds, the mask gets totally screwed up in AE. Please look at the pictures attached.

But when I paste the shape data onto the layer directly (like I used to when I only owned the mocha shape plugin that came with my AFCS5, it looks great in AE). Could that cause the problem, that I still have the bundled AECS5 Mocha version installed?

The comp size and projects sizes of the mocha project and AFX project are the same (frame rate, fields PAR etc). I have no idea whats going on. This feature is so great, but its not working for me…:frowning:

Tried restarting both apps, disabled Hardware acceleration in the mocha preferences, and also tried using openGL and NO openGL in AFX. Nothing works.

Please help,
Martin

Hi Martin,
It sounds like your comp setting aren’t matching up between shots. Can you double check those first?
Cheers,
Mary

Hi Guys,
Export shape data puts a keyframe on every frame regardless of whether you paste it in as an effect or in a mask, but it will give you a bezier if you go to edit>“paste mocha mask” in AE instead of just a straight “copy” from Mocha and “paste” into AE. We’re working on importing only the adjustment keyframes in the future.
Also, I don’t recommend using Mocha as an effect on your layer for more than a few layers, only on the layers you need that much control for or it will bog down your whole scene. Use paste mocha mask instead.
Cheers,
Mary

Hi Guys,

Export shape data puts a keyframe on every frame regardless of whether you paste it in as an effect or in a mask, but it will give you a bezier if you go to edit>“paste mocha mask” in AE instead of just a straight “copy” from Mocha and “paste” into AE. We’re working on importing only the adjustment keyframes in the future.

Also, I don’t recommend using Mocha as an effect on your layer for more than a few layers, only on the layers you need that much control for or it will bog down your whole scene. Use paste mocha mask instead.

Cheers,
Mary

Hi Martin,

It sounds like your comp setting aren’t matching up between shots. Can you double check those first?

Cheers,
Mary

Hi, sorry if this has been asked before.
Is it possible to import a roto shape from Mocha into After Effects CS5 as a Rotobezier or Bezier spline? For instance, have a mask in AE where there are points on the spline in the same position as the points on the X-spline in Mocha, AND only have keyframes on the AE mask where there are keyframes on the Mocha shape in Mocha (instead of having a key on every frame like the Mocha Shape Data).
I know how to import the shape data and paste onto a solid layer in AE, but my shot needs lots of shapes and it is started to get sluggish. I figured having my shapes as traditional masks in AE would keep things running smoother.
Thanks, and I hope this makes sense.

Hi, sorry if this has been asked before.

Is it possible to import a roto shape from Mocha into After Effects CS5 as a Rotobezier or Bezier spline? For instance, have a mask in AE where there are points on the spline in the same position as the points on the X-spline in Mocha, AND only have keyframes on the AE mask where there are keyframes on the Mocha shape in Mocha (instead of having a key on every frame like the Mocha Shape Data).

I know how to import the shape data and paste onto a solid layer in AE, but my shot needs lots of shapes and it is started to get sluggish. I figured having my shapes as traditional masks in AE would keep things running smoother.

Thanks, and I hope this makes sense.

Thanks for the help guys!

Thanks for the help guys!

I think currently there is no way to import the shapes as AE masks. If you need to work with AE masks but still want to benefit from the Mocha tracker, one option is to place AE masks on a layer that you move according to a Mocha track. Here is a tutorial of mine showing such a roto technique:

Another option is to use the full version of Mocha and render the mattes out as video files. Maybe this also speeds things up, at least, if you merge several mattes into one file (in case you don’t need them separately).
Best
Mathias

I think currently there is no way to import the shapes as AE masks. If you need to work with AE masks but still want to benefit from the Mocha tracker, one option is to place AE masks on a layer that you move according to a Mocha track. Here is a tutorial of mine showing such a roto technique:

Another option is to use the full version of Mocha and render the mattes out as video files. Maybe this also speeds things up, at least, if you merge several mattes into one file (in case you don’t need them separately).

Best
Mathias

Hi Martyn, I had the same problem. I pasted the shape data into a text editor and found the height dimension to be half what it should be. (540 instead of 1080 in my case). I edited this line to be correct and re-copied the data and then used “paste mocha mask” and everything lined up fine after this …
Nic