Mocha to Maya to Nuke camera import problem!

Hi everyone !
I’am currently on Maya 2013 + Nuke 6.2 pipeline, so when i’am solving 3d camera in the latest version of Mocha Pro and then exporting FBX(not nuke version, because i’am on v6.2) everything is ok in maya , but when i’am doing classic maya camera setup in Nuke(exporting from maya as FBX 2009), I’am getting strange camera results in nuke, the position & rotation of camera from maya doesn’t match … So i’am thinking that something wrong with mocha’s fbx export, but why is everything ok between mocha & maya , and then something goes wrong … ?

Hi everyone !

I’am currently on Maya 2013 + Nuke 6.2 pipeline, so when i’am solving 3d camera in the latest version of Mocha Pro and then exporting FBX(not nuke version, because i’am on v6.2) everything is ok in maya , but when i’am doing classic maya camera setup in Nuke(exporting from maya as FBX 2009), I’am getting strange camera results in nuke, the position & rotation of camera from maya doesn’t match … So i’am thinking that something wrong with mocha’s fbx export, but why is everything ok between mocha & maya , and then something goes wrong … ?

—Quote (Originally by martinb)—
I am not familiar with Maya’s export workflow, but Nuke uses different coordinates so that is why we have a different export for Nuke.
When you export a hand-animated camera from Maya do you see a similar issue?
—End Quote—
Thanks Martin for your quick answer …
As i say hand-animated camera from Maya syncs with nuke perfectly when your using fbx export(version 2009 from maya). This workflow for transferring maya cameras to nuke is well known and used by lot of artists for so many years.
The thing is that fbx export(not nuke version) from mocha pro works perfectly for maya, but when you’r exporting from maya same mocha camera, something goes deadly wrong. I think it is a big problems for pipelines that are on pre 6.3 nuke.

—Quote (Originally by martinb)—
I am not familiar with Maya’s export workflow, but Nuke uses different coordinates so that is why we have a different export for Nuke.

—End Quote—

As i say hand-animated camera from Maya syncs with nuke perfectly when your using fbx export(version 2009 from maya). This workflow for transferring maya cameras to nuke is well known and used by lot of artists for so many years.

The thing is that fbx export(not nuke version) from mocha pro works perfectly for maya, but when you’r exporting from maya same mocha camera, something goes deadly wrong. I think it is a big problems for pipelines that are on pre 6.3 nuke.

Hey Martin ! I solved the workflow problem, but it’s a mumbo-jumbo for sure )

1. Export FBX(not nuke version) from mocha
  2. Import in 3ds max
  3. Then export FBX 2013 from max to maya
  4. Finally export FBX 2009 from maya and then import in nuke your camera & objects.
    It’s a bit of struggle, but it’s working for pre - 6.3 nuke pipelines …

Hey Martin ! I solved the workflow problem, but it’s a mumbo-jumbo for sure )

1. Export FBX(not nuke version) from mocha
  2. Import in 3ds max
  3. Then export FBX 2013 from max to maya
  4. Finally export FBX 2009 from maya and then import in nuke your camera & objects.

It’s a bit of struggle, but it’s working for pre - 6.3 nuke pipelines …

Ok, that is a bit convoluted, but i’m glad it works!
Since 3ds Max has a different coordinate system to Maya, perhaps that is what is helping.

We’ll do some tests. Unfortunately FBX is a tricky beast!

—Quote (Originally by Hak)—
The thing is that fbx export(not nuke version) from mocha pro works perfectly for maya, but when you’r exporting from maya same mocha camera, something goes deadly wrong. I think it is a big problem for pipelines that are on pre 6.3 nuke.
—End Quote—
Thanks, that is clearer now.
If there is a functional issue between Maya and Nuke from our data it may be hard to trace, but we can look into it.
We use FBX 2012, so it may be that something is getting corrupted when it is changed to 2009, however It still doesn’t explain the Maya export, as it would be natively in the Maya environment before export.
Nuke 6.3v7 started supporting point cloud data correctly, which is why we have that specific export. Have you tried just using the camera from the Nuke export?

—Quote (Originally by Hak)—

The thing is that fbx export(not nuke version) from mocha pro works perfectly for maya, but when you’r exporting from maya same mocha camera, something goes deadly wrong. I think it is a big problem for pipelines that are on pre 6.3 nuke.
—End Quote—
Thanks, that is clearer now.

If there is a functional issue between Maya and Nuke from our data it may be hard to trace, but we can look into it.

We use FBX 2012, so it may be that something is getting corrupted when it is changed to 2009, however It still doesn’t explain the Maya export, as it would be natively in the Maya environment before export.

Nuke 6.3v7 started supporting point cloud data correctly, which is why we have that specific export. Have you tried just using the camera from the Nuke export?

Ok, that is a bit convoluted, but i’m glad it works!
Since 3ds Max has a different coordinate system to Maya, perhaps that is what is helping.
We’ll do some tests. Unfortunately FBX is a tricky beast!