Mocha Track data not pasting properly

I bet this question has been asked a million times, but no matter what I can’t find the right words to google a solution.

If I track in Mocha then copy the track to After Effects (corner pin supporting motion blur), the corner pin almost always comes in wrong. The TRACK is just fine, but the actual corner pin points are in a rectangle on the first frame. I can solve it by selecting all of the keyframes of each corner pin and changing it, and the track stays rock-solid. But it’s annoying, why does it happen?

Here’s what I mean. Perfect track, paste in AE and it’s a square for some reason.

Now, I have noticed that AdjustTrack’s points are always exactly where those corner pins are, but if I change them it makes no difference. Why does it default to this for me and not others?

Thanks in advance!

Hi there,

Can you let me know if you went through all of the steps outlined here? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECtQHJ486ZI

I just want to make sure I’m not confused about your process, it sounds like you’re not using align surface and it sounds like your layer dimensions are not the same size as the comp. Please send a screenshot if you are following those directions exactly, pasting on the first frame, and making sure your clip settings match between After Effects and mocha and the comp is still not working.

Maybe, I’d have to see it. Can you send me a screenshot from mocha and AE or can I connect with you over skype? My name is mary.poplin on skype

Cheers,
Mary

I did go through those steps.

I think it’s definitely not a layer size/dimensions mismatch. I’m applying my Mocha corner pin data to a solid that I create by Make Comp Size, just to be sure. Furthermore, if I paste shape/mask data, it’s always perfect. If I paste transform data onto a null, it’s perfect. It’s just when I want to get corner pin data – and the corner pin data is great (it doesn’t drift at all, it’s dead on), but it isn’t in the shape that I tracked, it’s just a rectangle on the first frame that THEN follows the corner pin tracking. I can move the corner pins to their proper places, but would much rather it import in properly in the first place.

But I might be misusing Align Surface. Does this seem like it?

Hi Mary, I’m having a similar problem. My tracking data looks fine in mocha, but when I export the data to my clipboard (with ae corner pin info) and then paste it in my composition, it bumps the graphic to off center.

Any idea what I’m doing wrong?

This is an AE thing you have to compensate for, your insert isn’t the same res as your footage you did your corner pin on. Happily, there’s an easy workflow fix for this: https://borisfx.com/videos/align-surface-and-mismatched/

Try that and let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Mary

Thank you so much!

Melissa