Motion blur for masks

Seems that the edge width import option isn’t working - I set inner and outer splines in the roto shape but I can’t see it as as an Open GL preview in Mocha for AE and when I import the shape into AE and keep the render edge width bullet ticked on I don’t see any soft edging. I can deal with no motion blur, but I kinda bought this to do a job and I need the edges softened depending on how I keyframe the roto in mocha for AE. Seemed this was a feature of the plug-in and mocha for AE. Was I mistaken? I mean s&*3t, if all I can get is hard edges mattes outta this then I shouldn’t have spent the money. . .

is it a bug?

AK

Seems that the edge width import option isn’t working - I set inner and outer splines in the roto shape but I can’t see it as as an Open GL preview in Mocha for AE and when I import the shape into AE and keep the render edge width bullet ticked on I don’t see any soft edging. I can deal with no motion blur, but I kinda bought this to do a job and I need the edges softened depending on how I keyframe the roto in mocha for AE. Seemed this was a feature of the plug-in and mocha for AE. Was I mistaken? I mean s&*3t, if all I can get is hard edges mattes outta this then I shouldn’t have spent the money. . .
is it a bug?
AK

Hi,

I’m trying to use the motion blur in mocha on a mask, when I activate the motion blur button in mocha and retrack, i get this greenish extra spline that shows me my motion blur, it all looks fine.

But as soon as I try to export the mask to AE the motion blur is nowere to be seen, what am I doing wrong?

//Bjorn
:confused:

—Quote (Originally by ross_shain)—
We do understand that your complaint is the shape is not editable, which is a different issue. There are plans to support native, editable AE masks in the future.
rosss@imagineersystems.com
—End Quote—
That is great to hear. Really looking forward to that!
-Josh

—Quote (Originally by ross_shain)—

We do understand that your complaint is the shape is not editable, which is a different issue. There are plans to support native, editable AE masks in the future.

—End Quote—
That is great to hear. Really looking forward to that!

-Josh

Sorry to say, the motion blur does not come across in mocha shape for AE. Only mocha (full version) and motor render mattes with motion blur.

You could use edge width settings to soften the mattes variably.

I will add as features request.

Thanks,
Ross

—Quote (Originally by Bjorn)—
Hi,

I’m trying to use the motion blur in mocha on a mask, when I activate the motion blur button in mocha and retrack, i get this greenish extra spline that shows me my motion blur, it all looks fine.

But as soon as I try to export the mask to AE the motion blur is nowere to be seen, what am I doing wrong?

//Bjorn
:confused:
—End Quote—

Sorry that you are disappointed.
mocha shape plug-in for After Effects was designed to give AE users the ability to quickly get shapes from mocha (and mocha for AEv2) into AE without rendering. This is a great affordable solution for CS4 owners to get a track and roto package without spending the money on full cost mocha v1.5.
It also allows users to not have to render multiple passes of high resolution content and speeds up the workflow for many - as the plug-in supports data from: mocha 1.5, mocha for AEv2 and motor v1.5.
The shape plug-in “does” have the ability to import and render mocha roto shapes with variable edge width feathering which is a lot different than applying a global blur in AE. We do understand that your complaint is the shape is not editable, which is a different issue. There are plans to support native, editable AE masks in the future.
If you do want to get motion blur on the mattes, one method is to precomp your matte layer and apply the cc force motion blur effect.
Again, we apologize if the product does not meet your expectations. In general the feedback has been very positive on this workflow. Once users get used to having both mocha and AE open together, it is easy to go back and forth to mocha to make changes then copy/paste to get the shapes into AE.
Sincerely,
Ross
Ross Shain
Imagineer Systems
—Quote (Originally by tctdvm)—
I just bought the Mocha to AE plugin, only to find out that 1, it doesn’t just create a mask/spline on the shape layer, but instead a Layer Effect - ouch; and 2, there’s NO FREAKIN MOBLUR!
The only real use of this plugin was for me to give my clients edge feathering control, expand/contract control and moblur. very disappointed. and out $120 US.
T
—End Quote—

Sorry that you are disappointed.

mocha shape plug-in for After Effects was designed to give AE users the ability to quickly get shapes from mocha (and mocha for AEv2) into AE without rendering. This is a great affordable solution for CS4 owners to get a track and roto package without spending the money on full cost mocha v1.5.
It also allows users to not have to render multiple passes of high resolution content and speeds up the workflow for many - as the plug-in supports data from: mocha 1.5, mocha for AEv2 and motor v1.5.

The shape plug-in “does” have the ability to import and render mocha roto shapes with variable edge width feathering which is a lot different than applying a global blur in AE. We do understand that your complaint is the shape is not editable, which is a different issue. There are plans to support native, editable AE masks in the future.

If you do want to get motion blur on the mattes, one method is to precomp your matte layer and apply the cc force motion blur effect.

Again, we apologize if the product does not meet your expectations. In general the feedback has been very positive on this workflow. Once users get used to having both mocha and AE open together, it is easy to go back and forth to mocha to make changes then copy/paste to get the shapes into AE.

Sincerely,
Ross

Ross Shain
Imagineer Systems

—Quote (Originally by tctdvm)—
I just bought the Mocha to AE plugin, only to find out that 1, it doesn’t just create a mask/spline on the shape layer, but instead a Layer Effect - ouch; and 2, there’s NO FREAKIN MOBLUR!

The only real use of this plugin was for me to give my clients edge feathering control, expand/contract control and moblur. very disappointed. and out $120 US.

T
—End Quote—

Please see this post to report your issue to support:
http://forum.imagineersystems.com/showthread.php?t=1110

Please see this post to report your issue to support:
http://forum.imagineersystems.com/showthread.php?t=1110

T

since I can gauss blur the shape in AE, I’m not really sure what the uneditable edge width does for me. Even with a moblur recognition attr, all the plug in really does is eliminate rendering out a matte. I still have to hit Mocha and re-output in order to edit the shape.

T

T

since I can gauss blur the shape in AE, I’m not really sure what the uneditable edge width does for me. Even with a moblur recognition attr, all the plug in really does is eliminate rendering out a matte. I still have to hit Mocha and re-output in order to edit the shape.
T

i’ve been using the Mocha - Shake work flow for a while now, so I’m familiar. Not looking to be able to edit knots in AE after creating the shape in Mocha, although that’d be nice. just the edge feather, grow/erode and moblur. I’ll look into the CC plug in, thx
T

i’ve been using the Mocha - Shake work flow for a while now, so I’m familiar. Not looking to be able to edit knots in AE after creating the shape in Mocha, although that’d be nice. just the edge feather, grow/erode and moblur. I’ll look into the CC plug in, thx

T