Motor 1.1.3 release candidate

We are working hard at releasing Motor 1.1.3 as release candidate to everyone on our forum. We have addressed many issues, in particular the random PPC Mac issues and doing our best to get a release out on 5 May 2007.

The release candidate should be used for testing and we do not recommend using it for actual production i.e. keep a copy of Motor 1.1.2

More on this tomorrow!

sricabla: I assume by your last comment you are running film clips from a network connection. If you load the footage from a local drive you will obviously see an improvement as connection is not limited by network performance. Are you caching your clip sequence?

Nick Lambert: I have started a new thread looking at the parameter tab issue. Your other issue raised about the log seems a tad wierd but not something major.

The RC1 includes several bug fixes as well as some improvements features. Here is a brief list of what you will find.

Improvements in the Motor RC1

• Bezier Improvement
    You can now manipulate points on a bezier whilst creating; allow a higher degree of control. This helps in creating beter beziers faster.

• The Preview Background Functionality
    Motor now includes an improved preview background feature that will allow a user to preview how a composite will look. A user will be able to take a matte and place it within a previewed background; with the functionality to scale and translate the matte.

• Preset Grids in Background preview
    Background previews contain grids that will allow a user to preview their tracking as well as the facility to check how good a roto is.

If you have any issues, suggested or observations about Motor please post here on the forum.

Happy Motoring.

Great news we have just completed testing on Motor V1.1.3 RC1
Only Mac and PC builds available at this point in time.

IMPORTANT!!! This is a Release Candidate please do not remove your current version of Motor, rather test this RC in conjunction with your current released version of Motor.

Download links:
Mac

http://www.imagineersystems.com/downloads/motor/MotorV1.1.3RC1.dmg

Windows

http://www.imagineersystems.com/downloads/motor/MotorV1.1.3RC1.exe

—Quote (Originally by KeithHill)—
I was attempting to import a quicktime clip into motor using the new project wizard and got this. Final Cut Pro 5 captures clips without adding an extenssion so I used Motor’s Enable Pull-down menu to select the last ‘extension-less’ option for importing a clip. I got this.

My Mac G5 is a 2Ghz, Dual Processor PPC with 3.5 RAM and a ATI x800 Card.
—End Quote—

Please upload your project and a sample problem clip to ftp.

FTP account:
server: ftp.imagineersystems.com
username: imgforum
password: imgforum

direct link: ftp://imgforum:imgforum@ftp.imagineersystems.com/

Bear in mind this ftp account is not private!

I have experience a random bug with regards to delete spline points. It just would not allow points to be deleted. Only occurred on XP build thus far.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Restarting the project seemed to fix the issue.

Any update on the problem I had importing clips captured in FCP 5?
—End Quote—

Just been doing more testing this afternoon. Nick Lambert found that removing the Blackmagic component (codec) solved his problem.

We tested your clip and have not been able to reproduce the issue even with Blackmagic codec loaded.

Either way, we suspect it’s a similar issue than Nick has been experiencing.

Please do a bit of testing with codecs on your system. Perhaps be good if you can give us a complete listing of the Quictime Components or a screen grab of the Quicktime Component folder?

The immediate work around is to export to a codec that works, like Animation of Photo Jpeg if you require fields. Alternatively to a sequential file format.

Just to confirm! We are currently working on this codec related issue now that we have narrowed it down to certain codecs.

I was attempting to import a quicktime clip into motor using the new project wizard and got this. Final Cut Pro 5 captures clips without adding an extenssion so I used Motor’s Enable Pull-down menu to select the last ‘extension-less’ option for importing a clip. I got this.

My Mac G5 is a 2Ghz, Dual Processor PPC with 3.5 RAM and a ATI x800 Card.

—Quote (Originally by Jay)—
Please upload your project and a sample problem clip to ftp.

—End Quote—

Jay, I’ve sent a link to our server where you can download the project and problem clip.

Any update on the problem I had importing clips captured in FCP 5?

—Quote (Originally by Jay)—
Perhaps be good if you can give us a complete listing of the Quictime Components or a screen grab of the Quicktime Component folder?

The immediate work around is to export to a codec that works, like Animation of Photo Jpeg if you require fields. Alternatively to a sequential file format.
—End Quote—

Thanks. I did export a image sequence when I was initially having the problem and that worked. It’s just such a long process of different camera angles. A pain in the butt.

Attached is the Quicktime Folder from my system. So, you’re saying that I should delete that Blackmagic Codec that is in there?

Ijazn,
Not sure what this relates to yet, but this line keeps popping up in my log:

Jun 08 00:43:59 (motor) # File:/Users/ijazn/src/GUI/…/Layercam/PreProcManager/LCAM_PreProcManager.cpp:541:

As it seems to be pointing at your local machine…

atb,
Nick

—Quote (Originally by Ijazn)—

• Preset Grids in Background preview
    Background previews contain grids that will allow a user to preview their tracking as well as the facility to check how good a roto is.
    —End Quote—

32x32 grid not showing up on mac?

Ijazn, I also just lost the parameters contents, had to quit & restart to get it back. Just to confirm, the parameters tab was there, just with no controls inside it. Again I’ll try & track this down before submitting a bug report

…So, you’re saying that I should delete that Blackmagic Codec that is in there?
—End Quote—
If you are not using a Blackmagic card or not dealing with Blackmagic
encoded footage then I’d move it to a temp folder until you need it. Then
just pop it back. Btw, the version shown was 4.0, if you need it, the latest
version is 5.7.1, available here (http://www.blackmagic-design.com/support/software/). It won’t fix the problem, but if you need it,
it’s the latest I know of.
Removal of this codec sorted my PAL DV problem with mocha & motor.

Hope that helps.
atb,
Nick

Thanks Jay, just to confirm Keith, I also have a Mac G5 is a 2Ghz, Dual Processor PPC with 3.0 RAM and a ATI x800 Card. The Blackmagic Codec
is causing the same issue you have. You can get it out here:
[your boot drive]/library/quicktime/

For your info Jay & Ijaz this codec gives the same problem on my G4 Laptop.
Both are ATI based… just a thought, are your mac’s Nvidia?

Using the RC edition of Motor and seems even more sluggish than the commercial release. There seems to be more jitter in my footage also.
I use Silhouette presently right now. It also has it’s own faults too, but it is much more interactive as far as performance. But I love the whole concept of the planar tracker, but so far the overall performance of Motor is not up to par of Silhouette. I’m still pushing for you!

G5 dual 2 gig
OS 10.4.8
4 gigs Ram

Maybe because I have a VPN with pixelcorps.

Hi Jay,
I almost cross-posted this on the PixelCorps forum. But, that’s not my place to do. I thought you might like to though :smiley: :wink: :o