Motor 1.2.3 issues

Hi all,

I’m currently using Motor in a big production environment with a team of people, and we’ve run into consistent issues with matte rendering and curve editor bugs.

It seems that the smaller the rendered matte is, the more prone it is to having artifacts appear around the edges of the matte; if a matte has a sharp point, there’s a 90% chance that it generates artifacts around the point on random frames, making the points jump and appear rounded erratically. Is this being looked into? I’ve seen old posts about this problem, but with no resolution.

The curve editor is basically a minefield. There doesn’t seem to be any undo function; if you accidentally move a point in the track data or in the spline data, Command-Z doesn’t reset it. A lot of the other artists have had Motor crash on them while attempting to adjust anything within the Editor. If it’s open and being manipulated, it’s only a matter of time before Motor disappears or takes the whole machine with it in a kernel panic.

I selected a matte and twirled down the track data in the Curve editor, selected a group of points and deleted them in order to clear away a part of the track that had gone bad. I had to hit undo about 3 or 4 times in order for the deleted points to come back. When they came back, they were completely garbled with their Bezier handles all in the wrong position (in the Curve Editor, not in the actual rotoshape).

I selected Redo from the Edit menu to get rid of the points again, and then had Motor crash on me when I began to adjust a Bezier point in the remaining track data.

I’ve attached a truncated stack trace for the crash, and will supply screenshots of the rendered matte artifacts if necessary.

We are running Motor 1.2.3 on Mac OS 10.5.6.

We have confirmed a bug that causes artifacts.
The issue is if you have a shape with intersecting points on the same shape… I have talked to numerous customers that didn’t think they had intersecting points but when examined - it was discovered that either the pints or the edge points were overlapping themselves causing render artifacts. Obviously not a fix, but if you do discover artifacts, it is usually solvable by editing and avoiding overlapping points on the same shape.

If anyone can send us project examples that reproduce artifacts on shapes that do not overlap, that would be useful for development purposes.

Thanks,
Ross

rosss@imagineersystems.com

—Quote (Originally by Marconius)—
Hi all,

I’m currently using Motor in a big production environment with a team of people, and we’ve run into consistent issues with matte rendering and curve editor bugs.

It seems that the smaller the rendered matte is, the more prone it is to having artifacts appear around the edges of the matte; if a matte has a sharp point, there’s a 90% chance that it generates artifacts around the point on random frames, making the points jump and appear rounded erratically. Is this being looked into? I’ve seen old posts about this problem, but with no resolution.

The curve editor is basically a minefield. There doesn’t seem to be any undo function; if you accidentally move a point in the track data or in the spline data, Command-Z doesn’t reset it. A lot of the other artists have had Motor crash on them while attempting to adjust anything within the Editor. If it’s open and being manipulated, it’s only a matter of time before Motor disappears or takes the whole machine with it in a kernel panic.

I selected a matte and twirled down the track data in the Curve editor, selected a group of points and deleted them in order to clear away a part of the track that had gone bad. I had to hit undo about 3 or 4 times in order for the deleted points to come back. When they came back, they were completely garbled with their Bezier handles all in the wrong position (in the Curve Editor, not in the actual rotoshape).

I selected Redo from the Edit menu to get rid of the points again, and then had Motor crash on me when I began to adjust a Bezier point in the remaining track data.

I’ve attached a truncated stack trace for the crash, and will supply screenshots of the rendered matte artifacts if necessary.

We are running Motor 1.2.3 on Mac OS 10.5.6.
—End Quote—