Motor Cashing

Guys,

I am running into some major cashing issues. It seems that Motor is storing everything it possibly can…at all times. This mainly is noticed when I render. My “MoTemp” folder becomes incredibly saturated with files upon render.

This doesn’t happen all the time but at random intervals it seems to become “saturated” somehow. My MoTemp dir can easily become saturated with temp files reaching a size of 8+ GIGS on a good day. Sometimes rebooting the computer helps, but the last 2 times I did that, it didn’t. Not sure if it has anything to do with the amount of shapes (layers) in my scene.

Example:
I just finished rendering a 265 frame, 80 layer, roto and the first 100+ frames maxed my MoTemp dir to 18 GIGS (storing 35,666 files). Then crashed of course. I then rendered another 100+ till crash (again 18 GIGS). The last 44 frames took up 8.71 GIGS (9000+ files) of space.

Now the good news is, when you shut down the Motor GUI it clears the MoTemp file. Its just starting over the rendering process after memory MAX is really rough. Also considering the more frames and layers you have the slower the render is (took 3+ hours to render 100+ frames with 80 layers (till crash)) its just not optimal right now.

Any suggestions? Anything I can turn off before rendering maybe? I have to be missing something.

Thanks guys,
Dartayous

good news. we’re in a bit of trouble here cause rc1 does not read tifs.

—Quote (Originally by Jay)—
The caching has been addressed on the lastest versions.
—End Quote—
excellent

any ETA for the mac version? i’ve put the RC1 (ona PC) to the test and it looks awesome.

small stupid question: how do i select multiple points? like shift+selct another and so on, cause right now i’m lost, trying to select another point deselects the first one :frowning:

why don’t you just export the rotos to another application like shake or flame? you won’t have to render them in motor. it’s just what we do. make the roto in motor and export them to shake. we did around 30 shots (~4000 frames) at 2k rez in 2-3 days.

i have to admit that it was crashing like hell without proxies, it tracks around 150 frames then it runs out of memory and it crashes. restarting motor and reloading the autosave helps a lot. but it should flush some memory for long sequences which apparently it does not.

the ctrl+cmd does not work for me. actually if i have one point selected as soon as i click again using whatever keyboard combination it deslects the previously selected one.

beta cause we’re running it on mac and we miss a lot the RC1 that is win/lin only :frowning:

i’m looking forward to the RC1 for mac! it should be great.

it simply does not work (sorry, i don’t know what rubberband selection is), it’s good that it can be fixed

ok i see, i was not trying to click on the points but drag select them (because i didn’t knew what rubber band seletion was). it’s all clear to me now.

frankly i never use click select a point cause we’re using tablets and i will move the selected points for sure. for me click select it’s a no-no.

we’re on 26th and no final osx version :frowning:

—Quote (Originally by adrian cruceru)—
i have to admit that it was crashing like hell without proxies, it tracks around 150 frames then it runs out of memory and it crashes. restarting motor and reloading the autosave helps a lot. but it should flush some memory for long sequences which apparently it does not.
—End Quote—

Please confirm which version you are using Beta4 or RC1.

beta cause we’re running it on mac and we miss a lot the RC1 that is win/lin only :frowning:
—End Quote—

So sorry! We have been having issues with the GUI Qt (a third party element) trying our best to get Mac released at the same time is XP and Linux.

The caching has been addressed on the lastest versions.

it simply does not work (sorry, i don’t know what rubberband selection is), it’s good that it can be fixed
—End Quote—

Are you saying that holding down CMD and clicking on points does not select individual control points?

Remember it only works by clicking on points to add to selection not rubberband / lasso selection of points.

excellent

any ETA for the mac version? i’ve put the RC1 (ona PC) to the test and it looks awesome.

small stupid question: how do i select multiple points? like shift+selct another and so on, cause right now i’m lost, trying to select another point deselects the first one :frowning:
—End Quote—

We will announce the Mac release status tomorrow. (Hold thumbs)

As for selecting multiple points only option at the moment is Ctrl + Select or Cmd on Mac.

i’m looking forward to the RC1 for mac! it should be great.
—End Quote—

My bad that was not clear enough.

Ctrl + mouse click on XP
Cmd + mouse click on Mac

Unfortunately Rubber band selection does not honor this.
It’s on our list!

ok i see, i was not trying to click on the points but drag select them (because i didn’t knew what rubber band seletion was). it’s all clear to me now.

frankly i never use click select a point cause we’re using tablets and i will move the selected points for sure. for me click select it’s a no-no.
—End Quote—

I could not agree more it was just not the highest on the list of priorities but it is on the list.

The work around I can offer is to use Click select but undo immediately if /when you do bump the points.

we’re on 26th and no final osx version :frowning:
—End Quote—

Was about to post, regarding the point release.
Motor v1.1.1 will be released today. (Including OSX version)

The release was postsponed late on Friday.

On a potive note… the release was postponed due to an improvement relating to Edge offsets, we are now doing final testing.