Multiple kinds of remove operation at once?

Hi all - I’ve checked the forums and I don’t think I see any previous questions that relate to this, so hopefully this isn’t redundant. I have a clip that needs 2 different kinds of remove operations done:

1 - a blemish on the model’s arm
2 - a couple spots of dust on the sensor

I can get rid of either of these perfectly one at a time, but when I try to add the other one my rendered results from the first one seem to disappear. I think it has to do with either how the layers are arranged top-to-bottom, or maybe with the render cogs being turned off. I think I don’t understand how the remove module knows which layer to look for below it in the layers panel and how the layer ordering works. Do i need to set up individual background tracks for each problem? If so, how should they be arranged in the layers panel? As far as I can tell it should be like this (form the top down):

blemish track (using a clean plate in the remove module)
larger background track on the arm
dust spot tracks (using the remove module stand alone with no clean plate)
background for dust spots

Hopefully this question makes sense, and thanks for all the great tutorials you guys have put out for Mocha, super helpful!

edit: it looks like when I complete the remove operation on the blemish and go to make a new x-spline layer to work on the next part, the rendered results disappear, and ctrl-z does not bring them back, do all the x-spline layers need to be created and tracked before any remove operations are done?

Do you have the gear o for both layers when you hit the remove button?

Since it takes longer to remove the more layers you have, I’d probably split this into two renders anyway, and then comp them in AE or Nuke, but that’s going to depend in your preferences.

You should always layer FG to BG though, so it should look like this:
blemish track (using a clean plate in the remove module)
dust spot tracks (using the remove module stand alone with no clean plate)
larger background track on the arm
background for dust spots

Cheers,
Mary

Thanks for getting back so fast! What I did the first few times was do the entire remove operation for the blemish and then tried to go and add tracks for the dust, but as soon as I click the new x-spline layer button, all the rendered results from the first remove operation disappear, I can’t seem to figure out what is causing that to happen. Could it be something to do with where my cache files are being saved? Or are you not able to create additional x-spline layers after the remove module has rendered without re-rendering?

That’s working as intended, it has to re-render the cache when you make changes. It only makes one file per remove, not per layer, so that’s why that is happening.

1 Like

Thanks Mary!