Multiple removes doesn't work - Mocha Pro 2019

I’m experiencing a problem with Mocha Pro and the remove module.
If I want to do multiple removes on the same clip, (using the same clean plate) it doesn’t allow me to do that. I’ve tried checking the gear icon on both remove layers, and it only does one of the removes or nothing.
I’ve made a clip showing the issue. What am I doing wrong? :slight_smile:

Link to clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKruAXtToWM&feature=youtu.be

Best regards
Daniel

Hi Daniel,

We have been seeing this and are working on a solution, but for now this needs to be done in two passes. You can export the file out to split it so you don’t lose any work, but you’ll need two instances of the Mocha Pro plugin to do this or you will need to pass it through the standalone twice. Or. You can simply put both remove shapes on the same layer instead of as two separate layers with the “add x-spline” tool.

Eventually, we would like to be able to group layers for removes and effectively solve this issue. That’s on our dev wish list. If you have any more questions, I am happy to help you.

Cheers,
Mary

Hi Mary.
Thanks for getting in touch. I see the export option as a contemporary solution.
If I put both of the remove shapes on the same layer using the “add x-spline” tool, both of the removes should be within the single background track area, right? :slight_smile:

Have a nice day
/Daniel

As long as both the FG remove shapes are on the same layer you can have as many BG tracked layers as you like, it will remove using the information from the layers below. They do not have to be on the same tracking data, but the more layers you have the longer your remove will take. In this case, you’d have one FG layer and two BG layers, which shouldn’t affect speeds too much.

This is a technique that works well for complex removes as well. If you need anything else, let me know.

Cheers,
Mary

Ok cool. But what about tracking of the remove layers: I used to link each remove layer, to the specific background layer to get the right tracking information. When I now have all of the remove layers on the same layer, what should I do when?

Yes, you’d have to do some hand animation with this method, but the FG track isn’t necessary for the remove.

A solid vote here for being able to process multiple remove layers in a group on the project.

In my case, I have tape marks to remove on a rover track in a 360 video. When the rover took a turn, some of the tape marks are occluded by objects in the scene. In a normal single remove, I’d simply set the end point for those tape marks as soon as they occlude and all would be good. In some cases with the tape marks, they are visible throughout the entire shot, so doing a full shot length remove is perfect.

In an ideal world, I could group those multiple tracked removes, all using the same clean plates, with various in/out points, and render them in a single pass in AE. Been trying using grouped layers now, but it’s unpredictable when it works or not, for no real rhyme or reason as far as I can tell. Reordering the layers in the group sometimes works, sometimes not.

1 Like

Well, now is 2021 and it’s still doesn’t working

Thank you for pointing that out. I am checking on this with the product team. We will bump the priority up.

I’m going to need to see an example project of this problem in action. The original video is gone.

I tested this again and when I remove using multiple layers and the same clean plate clip it removes as expected.

I can understand it if you’re trying to remove again on an existing remove clip within Mocha, but multiple layers remving from a background track seems to be behaving as expected.